Perfect Seal on Waterpump Cover Assembly??

Hello all, Need some advice. I have a 2006 Mercury Optimax 115hp (serial # 1B372539) and am replacing the water pump. I notice the cover assembly (that houses the drive shaft seals) has slight corrosion where the waterpump gasket sits. Is it OK to use perfect seal on the gasket where it mounts to the cover assembly to prevent any salt water from seeping under the gasket?
    Last edited by Peetee907; 01-17-2021 at 11:00 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It IS perfectly acceptable to use Perfect Seal between the lower gasket and the METAL HOUSINGS/Gearcase.

Avoid the area around the driveshaft so as to prevent it from traveling down into the seals, potentially interfering with proper seal function.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you Don. I was going to apply it to the bottom of the "paper" gasket. That would avoid any going onto the driveshaft seal.