New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Does water color have a lot to do with sidescan??

water color and water clarity have a lot to do with how far I should set my range at when scanning for cover and so on???
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Banned
    Maybe describe your equipment, lake and depth fishing so other users can give you a better idea of what to try.

For me, the range setting is always changing based on what the depth is and how detailed the image appears. I'll be cruising along the channel in 140' water then come to a point and the depth goes to 30'. I keep the range setting on screen and would start at 200-300' and then bring it back to 140-160'. The tighter the range, the better the clarity on your screen. With my SS3D the range is enormous but when I have it out to 300' everything gets very small.
    There are other settings you can play with to help your imaging. Noise rejection and surface clarity can be taken from "off" to "high" to see how they affect your clarity and sensitivity. Most importantly is contrast and your palette which just has to be played with to find what works best with your eyes. You may also have a frequency setting between 455 and 800 mHz which can change the amount of detail (800 is better) at the cost of range (455 is better).

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Sorry HDS units 8” up front and 10” on console Gen 2 with structure scan box and LSS2 transducer , depth of our lakes are not very deep from 10’to 30’ is usual not real clear but not dirty either on average all natural lakes and ponds hope this helps
    Last edited by twitch; 01-18-2021 at 07:50 AM.

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    TTT

5. Member
    Personally I set it at 80' and pretty much leave it. At that range you still have good clarity and can still pick up bait and fish. The problem you run into if you keep changing the range is you never learn what your targets are because your size keeps changing. Consistent target size will help you learn what fish you are looking at.

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Looking more for structure and such , I usually run it at 60' but sometimes it doesn't seem to read as well in different ponds and so on what do you run 800 or 455?? other settings would be appreciated also if you can remember what you run? thanks