Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To replace water pump kit ?

How long does it take someone that knows what they're doing to replace a water pump kit in a 08 150HO?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    About an hour, hour 15 minutes.

Elgin replaced Randall Tharps' gearcase in under 20 minutes at the Bassmaster classic in 2014.

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I watch that vid every time I can !! I've got it down to less than an hour....

4. Member
    Thanks, wondered how many coffee cans i was going to have to dig up. LOL

5. Member
    I sure miss him being around the boards. He can flat out fix them Rudes

Removing and installing the lower unit is the fastest part of the procedure. It's the actual change/install of the water pump kit that takes the most time....just my opinon but an experience tech in a shop 1 hour. A novice doing it at home 1.5 -2 hours.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Removing and installing the lower unit is the fastest part of the procedure. It's the actual change/install of the water pump kit that takes the most time....just my opinon but an experience tech in a shop 1 hour. A novice doing it at home 1.5 -2 hours.
    Gene's right. I had never done it before & it took me about an hour & a half to remove lower & install a complete kit & put it back together. That was removing lower in my garage & carrying it next door to my wifes sons garage for more room, to put it in a vise & have better lighting & work area too. I hooked it up to muffs afterward to check it out so 2 hours all together at most & that's taking my time to make sure i had it right & a beer break. It's really a lot easier job to do than what most videos make it out to be & i think i could do it in a hour for sure now if needed.

If you don't have a vise try this trick...lower the tailgate of your truck. Lay a towel or some type of material over the gap between the bed and tailgate. Let the skeg slid down inside that gap. The towel/material is so you don't scratch the lower unit or your truck. The gearcase sits perfectly level when lowered into the gap. This is how I do it because the vise in my garage is too small for the job.

9. Member
    Good idea Gene.

10. Member
    Black and Decker workmate bench is handy for this job too. If ya have one.!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    Black and Decker workmate bench is handy for this job too. If ya have one.!

same thing I use works great!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

The actual wrenching time is about an hour, but at a repair shop you have to factor in the time spent getting the boat in the shop, getting the tools, looking up and picking the parts, removing any boat covers and ties. There is also gasket scraping time, possible salt water corrosion or from acidic waters and lime buildup in some environments. A good tech also checks seal condition, gear oil contamination, shift rod height, and cable adjustments at the powerhead. The boat also has to be pulled out of the shop and run in a tank or on the water for testing and also thermostats checked for proper temperatures. The boat and motor then have to be wiped clean from fingerprints and the cover reinstalled and tied down.

The biggest thing to remember is normally people do not bring a boat in just to have a water pump replaced. Normally a boat is brought in and the owner says it is overheating so that means diagnostic time has to be spent and at least a thorough visual inspection even before removing the gearcase.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

14. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    The actual wrenching time is about an hour, but at a repair shop you have to factor in the time spent getting the boat in the shop, getting the tools, looking up and picking the parts, removing any boat covers and ties. There is also gasket scraping time, possible salt water corrosion or from acidic waters and lime buildup in some environments. A good tech also checks seal condition, gear oil contamination, shift rod height, and cable adjustments at the powerhead. The boat also has to be pulled out of the shop and run in a tank or on the water for testing and also thermostats checked for proper temperatures. The boat and motor then have to be wiped clean from fingerprints and the cover reinstalled and tied down.

The biggest thing to remember is normally people do not bring a boat in just to have a water pump replaced. Normally a boat is brought in and the owner says it is overheating so that means diagnostic time has to be spent and at least a thorough visual inspection even before removing the gearcase.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

16. Scraps
    Took me 6 months! If I did the right thing and had everything I needed and did all the research, three hours and two beers tops.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    The boat and motor then have to be wiped clean from fingerprints and the cover reinstalled and tied down.
    Thank you for your attention to detail because this is one of my pet peeves. Many years ago I was having EMM issues and took my boat to west KY to get it worked on because the dealership came with high praise. When I went to get my boat I noticed greasy finger prints all over the cowl. I never said anything but if I had open my bilge and looked in it before I made my 3.5 hour dive home I would have went back in the dealership and showed my ass... I can tell you exactly what whoever repaired it had for lunch. It was a microwave cheeseburger, bag of chips and a 20 oz drink. Plus he likes to dip Skoal because there was empty Skoal can in the bilge. There was lose electrical tape as well as zip ties and other scraps left behind from where he done his work. Needless to say I was there my one and only time. I don't recommend them to anyone. Yes they resolved my issue and yes the price was fair but my boat is not a trash can. I might overlook greasy finger prints as casual damage but someone purposely put the rest of the trash in there and to me that shows me they have little respect for someone else property.

18. Member
    Welcome back SEAHORSE!!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Thank you for your attention to detail because this is one of my pet peeves. Many years ago I was having EMM issues and took my boat to west KY to get it worked on because the dealership came with high praise. When I went to get my boat I noticed greasy finger prints all over the cowl. I never said anything but if I had open my bilge and looked in it before I made my 3.5 hour dive home I would have went back in the dealership and showed my ass... I can tell you exactly what whoever repaired it had for lunch. It was a microwave cheeseburger, bag of chips and a 20 oz drink. Plus he likes to dip Skoal because there was empty Skoal can in the bilge. There was lose electrical tape as well as zip ties and other scraps left behind from where he done his work. Needless to say I was there my one and only time. I don't recommend them to anyone. Yes they resolved my issue and yes the price was fair but my boat is not a trash can. I might overlook greasy finger prints as casual damage but someone purposely put the rest of the trash in there and to me that shows me they have little respect for someone else property.
    Gene, i don't blame you. I'd have called raising h*ll & let them know that i would never use them again since their mechanic was a nasty piece of sh*t.

Love that vid!!
    Watching the best of the best right there.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast