Trying to check timing on engine

serial #0a137330
    1985 Mariner 2.4 175 hp

Hoping someone can please help me out again. I got my engine all back together and it was a little hard to start but does run and hasn't died on the muffs. I pulled the plugs and grounded the ignition wires to check the idle timing but I only get a strobe now and then from my timing light. So I put the timing light lead on #3 and same thing. Then I put my original switch boxes back on and same thing. So then I removed kill circuit and yellow rectifier wires but still intermittent strobe from timing light. My timing light is a digital Snap-on from the 80's that also has a tach.Tomorrow I am going to try a different timing light. My trigger is new oem and the stator is a cdi less than a year old. I am thinking I will run engine and check rpm's on each cylinder with the timing light to see what I get. Is there something I might be overlooking or can you recommend what to check next ? Thanks

2. Member
    I am running a 100 to 1 in the tank plus the oil injection for break in. I was trying to check the timing on a dead cold engine and my plugs are very wet, will this cause a no spark or should my ignition system be strong enough to show it is sparking on the timing light ?. Should I warm up the engine and then try to set the timing ?. I have a inline spark tester I connected the other day to all cylinders after I had warmed the engine up, it showed continuous purple looking spark. The tester is a lisle brand ?. Will engine be harder to start with the extra oil ?, any help greatly appreciated !

3. Member
    just check it running shouldnt be that hard to start with 100;1 id used 50;1 ,done hundreds fired right up
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Sounds like timing light might be bad. Doesn’t matter how much oil is in there, you can run double oil and it should run the same, maybe a hair smokier.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    just check it running shouldnt be that hard to start with 100;1 id used 50;1 ,done hundreds fired right up
    Thanks Joe I will set it running then see if I can set wot timing not running after warm up. It had a stalling problem before I took powerhead apart. I replaced trigger but I have a feeling I have a ignition problem?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post
    Sounds like timing light might be bad. Doesn’t matter how much oil is in there, you can run double oil and it should run the same, maybe a hair smokier.
    That would be nice. I’m trying another light tomorrow. Thanks

7. Member
    Ok good news it was the timing light, borrowed a buddies from work and strobe was consistent. Removed idle box and set idle timing to 4 degrees atdc and wot timing to 20 degrees btdc. Will just need to try it at the river where it would die at idle and did not want to accelerate. I also marked the flywheel for each cylinder and timing light showed those cylinders when I connected timing light pick up lead to each cylinder. Can anyone please tell me where I should set the idle rpm when on the muffs that would make it close to being correct when I am in the river. Also does anyone have a trick to holding the flywheel while torquing the crankshaft nut ? Thanks for all the help !

8. Member
    id try 950 and may need to adjust some in river/ get you a strap type flywheel holder
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Thanks for the help Joe, a buddy at work loaned me a flywheel holder and I got the crank nut torqued. He also loaned me a Snap on timing light that has a tach that is much like mine. His light also will not read rpms and the timing strobe is very unstable. My ? is do you need a timing light that is for 2 stroke ? I see where some of the lights have a switch for 2 and 4 stroke. I mainly need a tachometer for setting my idle, does anyone have a recommendation?

10. Member
    i have 3 and all work fine on 2strk, Merc has some good analog tachs many diff styles

11. Member
    Well I had a chance to take boat out today and it started and ran with no issues, idles and accelerates good. Only thing I noticed that was different now is my temp gauge goes down to cold after getting on plane ? temp gauge use to stay up around halfway. Only thing I can imagine that might have changed that is the blown midsection divider gasket I found when I removed the plate. It was blown between cooling side and exhaust side. I still have the 10 psi water pressure at idle. Thanks to everyone who helped me get our boat back on the water!

12. Member