Thinking about building my own rods...

So where would you recommend someone start? Tutorials, vendors, etc.

I don't want to go all the way down the rabbit hole... but I probably will.

2. Member
    Spend fifteen dollars on Tom Kirkman's book, look it over and make an educated decision. Everything you need to know is in there with lots of pictures.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    Spend fifteen dollars on Tom Kirkman's book, look it over and make an educated decision. Everything you need to know is in there with lots of pictures.
    Not opposed to spending $40 on the book, but where is it available for $15?

4. Member
    There is several how to videos on youtube and on get bit or mudhole. If you can watch the steep by steep and say I think I can figure out the minute things then go for it. I started 2 years ago and I decided to go all the way when I started. I got a power wrapper upgraded reamers good digital caliper. The only thing I feel I have wasted my money on is the laser to line up guides. There will be several that say start as cheap as possible with a hand wrapper. While I can appreciate that to me if you have the slightest feeling you might want a power wrapper anywhere down the road I highly recommend one. If you are going to build 1 rod a year a hand wrapper is probably great. I knew I wanted to replace all my store bought with "custom" so I went all in. I thought about starting with a hand wrapper but knew if I liked it enough I would want a power wrapper and would have wasted money on the hand wrapper. I also thought if I didn't like it I could sell the power wrapper and get some of my money back to not be a total loss. If I had bought a hand wrapper I don't know that I would have tried to sell it if I didn't enjoy the process. In the 2 years I have done around 30 rods for myself and fishing buddy. I feel I can build better than NRX for around $250 - $300. That is retail price for parts no counting labor time.

Mudhole has great resources online and on youtube. Some may tell you to run but it's a hobby that I really enjoy.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    +1

7. Member
    Very good videos on getbitoutdoors.com
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    I was tempted to get the starter kit from mudhole for like $190. Seemed to have everything needed to make a rod. Might pull the trigger here soon. Started making my own jigs this past spring so this would give me something to do in the winter
    Fish have fins, they swim

9. Member
    I just recently took the plunge and invested in the equipment... had been thinking about it for years. I'm glad I did, my second build is currently on the dryer and will be ready to fish tomorrow. My first build has already made it out to the neighborhood pond for testing and caught my first bass on it. Talk about incredibly fulfilling to catch that first fish.

I didn't like the idea of getting a cheap first rod kit... I had a broken blank, and a few broken rods to practice wrapping guides as a starting point. I practiced on the broken blank for a few weeks here and there until I was comfortable with doing it on a build. My first build came out just as nice as a $200-$300 production rod.

Tons of video's on youtube covering all aspects of rod building, especially for beginners. I absorbed a lot of that content and incorporated into my practicing and first builds.

I like the CRB wrapper... I essentially pieced my gear together from a local store in Houston who sells rodbuilding supplies and ebay. Takes a little investment to get started, but once you do you are set for a while. Hardest part is deciding thread color... lol, after that is digging through the multiple sources of rod blanks to choose what you think you will like best.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

10. Member
    I'll also add duplicating a production rod you currently have and really like is a good place to start with a first time build. Assuming you can find a similar or identical blank.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

11. Member
    I would suggest Mudhole. They have great videos and you can get technical advice from their reps. If you want a dynamite blank for $40.00 buy their OEM blank. I bought the 7’2” medium heavy. It is great for cranks or jerk baits. It has glass in it and comes with a fast action. I want a shorter rod for jerk baits so I am cutting four inches off the butt.

I learned from the Get Bit Outdoors videos on youtube. They are pretty indepth and by the time you watch the entire series you will have seen most of the basic things multiple times.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

13. Member
    Amato Press published the book 15 - 20 years ago, it was on just about all the rod building dealer sites and Amazon. Tom said sometime back he had permission to update it and it was happening last September if my rememberer is still working right.