Thread: Steady Cast ??

Steady Cast ??

Today my electric trolling motor quit and I was trying to hold on a waypoint with my gas engine nosing into the wind, problem was the map was all over the place and I had to move away and make the map turn back around to get back to my waypoint. Will steady cast prevent this, even with spot lock on trolling motor, will the waypoint stay put and the map stay oriented in the correct position?

2. Member
    Yes. Hook it up via NMEA.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Yes. Hook it up via NMEA.
    that is already in place, thanks

4. Member
    If you get it, do yourself a favor and check the install location with a handheld compass. Then you will be very happy with it. You can install it front, back, sideways, however. Just needs to no have any magnetic influences around it. Sometimes I will have pliers or something get next to it and that distracts it.

Don't forget the GPS24xd. It's a really accurage gps plus heading sensor.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-16-2021 at 10:00 AM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    If you get it, do yourself a favor and check the install location with a handheld compass. Then you will be very happy with it. You can install it front, back, sideways, however. Just needs to no have any magnetic influences around it. Sometimes I will have pliers or something get next to it and that distracts it.

Thanks again...I will consider that but my biggest issue was just the map rotating all over the place when not moving or hardly moving.

6. Member
    So I am assuming this does everything the Steady Cast does plus to more accurate GPS?

7. Member
    Yes gps and heading sensor

For the gps from the specs.

• Position accuracy, typical marine use: < 50 cm, CEP 50%; < 1.0 meter, 88%

From my use, I don't disagree. Older waypoints that were marked using a different gps will be off more than that, but the ones marked with it seem dead on when I go back.

8. Member
    Thank you..

9. Banned
    if you what the boat to rotate on the map and not the map rotate around the boat , thats the your map options on your chartplottor.

10. Member
    I'll second checking for magnetic interference, and add that you should run any nearby electronics and/or associated wiring as you test as well. My *second* mounting location worked great.....until I hit the button to turn my anchor winch on. That makes the steady-cast go nuts since the wiring is nearby, and it doesn't always go back to normal afterwards without re-calibrating. I haven't moved it to location #3 yet, but I'm planning to check extra well first so I never have to move it again.