Thread: guntersville ?

guntersville ?

I will be there in mid march and this will be my first time there . What could I expect as far as water temps , grass growth and any other tid bits for that time of year . I think I remember a number of years ago one of the pro tours had some slightly off results . They said that there was a couple bad spawn years which led to lower numbers of medium sized fish . Was that true and if so has it recovered ?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    I will be there in mid march and this will be my first time there . What could I expect as far as water temps , grass growth and any other tid bits for that time of year . I think I remember a number of years ago one of the pro tours had some slightly off results . They said that there was a couple bad spawn years which led to lower numbers of medium sized fish . Was that true and if so has it recovered ?
    I went the first week of April last year. We caught exactly 140 bass. Probably only had 10 slicks. Majority of fish were 2-3.5lbs. I caught a 5-12 that was our big fish. We fished 3.5 days. I think we were about 3 days too late. The big females had left the beds. First of March should be pre spawn. Middle to end of March I'd be checking for any bedding activity.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

3. Member
    Fish the grass that is near spawn flats for staging fish. Lot of big girls to be caught.

Water temps should be mid 50, grass should be good and healthy in tight clumps.

Cannot go wrong with a red lipless\squarebill\chatterbait. Fish will be together, cover tons of grass, and if you catch a fish CAST IN THAT SPOT. Fairly normal to catch 20lbs best 5, with 20-30 fish in a day per person. Do not be afraid to beat the crap out of a single spot.

I do not bed fish, and I generally can put a 30lb bag together in March and April with not a bit of bed fishing. I personally do not recommend bed fishing unless you just stumble on a giant. Guntersville is a huge lake and there are a lot of waves of spawning ladies.

Good luck man.

4. Member
    I spent the last week of March on Guntersville. Had a blast . One thing I done was fish chatterbait and traps in the morning then moved up and frog fished late afternoon. I will be going back last week of March or first of April this year.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTimeAgain View Post
    Fish the grass that is near spawn flats for staging fish. Lot of big girls to be caught.

Water temps should be mid 50, grass should be good and healthy in tight clumps.

Cannot go wrong with a red lipless\squarebill\chatterbait. Fish will be together, cover tons of grass, and if you catch a fish CAST IN THAT SPOT. Fairly normal to catch 20lbs best 5, with 20-30 fish in a day per person. Do not be afraid to beat the crap out of a single spot.

I do not bed fish, and I generally can put a 30lb bag together in March and April with not a bit of bed fishing. I personally do not recommend bed fishing unless you just stumble on a giant. Guntersville is a huge lake and there are a lot of waves of spawning ladies.

Good luck man.
    Would you believe I went with a Guide(First Week Of April) and we sight fished for 2lbers. I was thinking we could be cranking humps outside of spawning areas and do much better! Talk about a waste of $
    Last edited by Dr Phil Good; 01-24-2021 at 07:48 AM.

6. Member
    Isn't this technically soliciting advice before the Championship?
    Last edited by HOGIE; 01-29-2021 at 05:20 PM.
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOGIE View Post
    Isn't this technically soliciting advice before the Championship?
    Based on yours and the OP’s location I assume this is in regards to the US AC Championship. Does it specify in their rules that a competitor can’t solicit advice before the Championship? I read through their rules and couldn’t find anything about it but often overlook things.

8. Member
    yes in regards to the ac tourny. No it doesn't specify any info rules . The only thing I can see is that you can't pay a guide .

9. Member
    That’s how I read it.

A couple years ago a buddy and I qualified for it via the same division you did. It was also our first (only) time down at Gville. It had lots of grass and lots of bass of all sizes. The main River won’t be colder than 50 degrees and if a warm front rolls through the creeks will warm up quickly.

My biggest take away from our 9 days at Gville is that the fish move a lot. Keeping tabs on a group of fish is no easy task if the weather and water are fluctuating. If you aren’t getting bites there may not be a bass for miles but if you do get a bite there’s likely a bunch in the area.

We’ve fished against each other a few times including at chick last fall, you’ll do well down there.

10. Member
    Some of the big tournament circuits have cut off dates for info. But if it public access like YouTube videos and forums it's ok. But to get on here and ask questions now that not a good idea.