Sealing transom screw holes for future permanent repair

How would you seal old screw holes in a fiberglass transom and allow for future permanent repair? I'm thinking of using 3M 4000 or 4200 and reinserting the screws. That should supply a long lasting, watertight repair that can later be removed and the holes filled and gelcoat applied. Thougts?

4200 on the screws and reinstall them.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    This

x3
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I disagree with this. I used to think this was a good option until I decided to remove a handful of screws that the previous owner had "reinstalled with 4200". When I removed each screw...water poured out. I decided then that I was going to try and do a better job.

I ended up using marine-tex and injected some in each screw hole, and then covered the whole area ( about 4" x 3") with a layer of marine tex. It definitely did the trick, but being that marine-tex is epoxy based, it was hard to get the gel coat to cure to it....incredibly difficult

If I had to do it over again, I would mix some fiberglass resin, treat it the same way and then apply the gel coat over it.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an professional or expert, so my terminology / application may not be professionally correct...but it's what worked for me.

However, if it is just temporary - go for it!!! Just don't rely on it being a permanent fix.

Last edited by Hez; 01-15-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Dam, I never seen so many screw holes in a transome before. I think you did a nice job patching. I have used marine Tex for the same repair only a couple of screw holes. I found some auto touch up paint that matches my boat paint that I used on the repair.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

7. Member
    Thanks guys! That is a tone of holes Hez! You did an awesome job.

Depending on color of boat I'd use marine tex. My boat is maroon, so I'd probably fill the holes with marine tex about 1/32" from end of hole and then apply a gel coat patch to color match.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    I disagree with this. I used to think this was a good option until I decided to remove a handful of screws that the previous owner had "reinstalled with 4200". When I removed each screw...water poured out. I decided then that I was going to try and do a better job.

I ended up using marine-tex and injected some in each screw hole, and then covered the whole area ( about 4" x 3") with a layer of marine tex. It definitely did the trick, but being that marine-tex is epoxy based, it was hard to get the gel coat to cure to it....incredibly difficult

If I had to do it over again, I would mix some fiberglass resin, treat it the same way and then apply the gel coat over it.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an professional or expert, so my terminology / application may not be professionally correct...but it's what worked for me.

However, if it is just temporary - go for it!!! Just don't rely on it being a permanent fix.
    Are you sure that 3M 4200 was used and not just some clear bathroom silicone that wasn't made for a marine environment?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Banned
    I had some screw holes below water line from temp sensor I removed off transom on my ranger. One hole had water coming out, so I dried it out, drilled hole out one size larger then used a marine epoxy to fill the holes in. Once cured, I flared each hole out then gelled over them with black gelcoat. Sand, buff, wax can't even tell there was a hole and it's a permanent repair.

Are you sure that 3M 4200 was used and not just some clear bathroom silicone that wasn't made for a marine environment?

No, I can't be 100% sure, as I wasn't there when it was installed...but it wasn't clear; it was white. When all of the screws were installed...it looked like someone did a decent job of reinstalling them with silicone. There was even some sealant protruding out from behind each screw head...I almost never even messed with it...but thought what the heck, let's take one out. Was glad I did.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    Dam, I never seen so many screw holes in a transome before. I think you did a nice job patching. I have used marine Tex for the same repair only a couple of screw holes. I found some auto touch up paint that matches my boat paint that I used on the repair.
    I know, right?! It was unbelievable to me....and with all of the screws in...it appeared to be sealed well...but once I started taking screws out - that silicone quit doing it's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    Thanks guys! That is a tone of holes Hez! You did an awesome job.
    Thanks...it's not perfect...but a lot better than it was...

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles