Thread: HPDI hours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HPDI hours?

Is 730 hours to many for a 2007? Must of been a good engine!
    Looking at buying a 2007 HPDI with 730 hours.
    2015 Skeeter ZX250 with 2015 SHO 250hp
    12" Helix MSI at console linked with
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

2. Member
    What size

3. Member
    250hp
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

MY 2008 200 HPDI had over 800 hours on it when I sold it. Motor never saw a shop its entire life. Annual maintenance kept it running perfectly.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Member
    250 is the 3.3 l. My opinion is your on borrowed time. The pin has been pulled.

6. Member
    It's like rolling the dice right? But the 250hp motor must of been put together right if it has 730 hours!
    Thanks for the info.
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Z21 Tom View Post
    It's like rolling the dice right? But the 250hp motor must of been put together right if it has 730 hours!
    Thanks for the info.
    My bet is the vast majority run a very long time if cared for.

8. Member
    The 3.3 l have a bad rep for blowing the same pistons that tells me something. I love Yamaha s. Just not that one. Just read on here and you will see. Could be an expensive mistake. Check around it’s no secret

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    The 3.3 l have a bad rep for blowing the same pistons that tells me something. I love Yamaha s. Just not that one. Just read on here and you will see. Could be an expensive mistake. Check around it’s no secret
    Sounds like when Optimax came out. They kept losing #6. Think that ended up being a fuel rail issue.

10. Member
    The ole opti pop. Lol

11. Member
    Should I pass on the 07 HPDI motor with 730 hours? I'm pretty conflicted. I like the Ranger 521VX the motor is on!
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

12. Member
    HDPI could last for years with maintenance or could go without warning. Mechanical parts wear over time. Ask if the oil pump has been updated i think to series two?
    If you get it do not assume the dealer or private party has done all the maintenance. I would figure about $500 in parts for vst filter, onboard water separator filter, lower unit oil, water pump complete kit, onboard oil tank filter strainer, clear bowl filter, secret filters, plugs, poppet valve kit. not knowing history you might get the fuel injectors flow tested/calibration performed (about $200), and two thermostats.
    If your mechanically inclined you can do it yourself and possibly keeping it running for years to come.

13. Member
    Thank you for the info! I agree it could run for years more.

Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    HDPI could last for years with maintenance or could go without warning. Mechanical parts wear over time. Ask if the oil pump has been updated i think to series two?
    If you get it do not assume the dealer or private party has done all the maintenance. I would figure about $500 in parts for vst filter, onboard water separator filter, lower unit oil, water pump complete kit, onboard oil tank filter strainer, clear bowl filter, secret filters, plugs, poppet valve kit. not knowing history you might get the fuel injectors flow tested/calibration performed (about $200), and two thermostats.
    If your mechanically inclined you can do it yourself and possibly keeping it running for years to come.
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

14. Member
    [QUOTE=1ranger487vs;11619186]The 3.3 l have a bad rep for blowing the same pistons that tells me something. I love Yamaha s. Just not that one. Just read on here and you will see. Could be an expensive mistake. Check around it’s no secret[/QUOTE]

While I will be the first to admit that the big block VZ motors are problematic, IMO it is not nearly as problematic as the innerweb makes them appear to be. Many never have a problem. We seldom, if ever, hear from them. Some will have a problem. It gets posted and repeated far, wide and often. Makes it seem much much worse than it really is.

The big block HPDI is a thoroughbred. Particularly the VZ line. You can't ride or treat a thoroughbred like a mule. That model, again IMO, is not suitable for the average boater.

15. Member
    Just for giggles. Call a shop and ask them what a Hpdi is worth on a trade in. Bet it’s less than you think. Let us know what they say

16. Member
    Big block VZs definitely have a bad reputation. Reflected in their prices.

17. Member
    So the trade in value for a HPDI will be less then for a opti pop?

18. Member
    If they were so good why would resale be so much less. I’ve seen some dealers didn’t want to take them. Very hard for them to move them. Make a few calls just my honest opinion. The opti’s seemed worst the first few years but got better from what I hear. I run a Yamaha. Just not a 3.3

19. Member
    I bought a 06 Stratos with a 3.3 that had around 650 hours. I have had it two years without a problem. I bought it from a friend who I knew had taken care of it. Since I bought it for less than $20,000 , I went in with eyes wide open. If I have to repower, I still have a great boat. If I go another 3 years I win.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I bought a 06 Stratos with a 3.3 that had around 650 hours. I have had it two years without a problem. I bought it from a friend who I knew had taken care of it. Since I bought it for less than $20,000 , I went in with eyes wide open. If I have to repower, I still have a great boat. If I go another 3 years I win.
    And I suspect that had you not read this thread we would not have read your favourable experience. While we oft hear from disgruntled owners. Usually several times over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast