Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2000 Bumble Bee 180 with Termites

I had this boat made in 2000 and it has been garage kept and very well maintained it’s entire life. Two years ago the old Mercury EFI 175 finally blew and I had it repowered with a new 175 ProXS 4 stroke. Last year after fishing one day, I opened the back battery compartment and thousands of termites flew out. Upon further research I learned that once a year a termite colony releases “swarmers” to start new colonies. After this I was scared to really use the boat until I had it looked in to. I could bounce on the motor and the transom would move maybe a 16th or 18th of an inch. With the cost of new boats or even just a new hull, I decided to have a full restore done. I am not doing this my self as many here have done. Brooks Fiberglass in Hazel Green AL is doing the restore. They have a good reputation and there is an old bumble bee guy that works there so that makes me comfortable. Along with new transom, stringers, floors, and carpet, I am having them do padded front deck, recessed trolling motor pedal, and new trailer bunks. The new transom will be coosa. Maybe this thread will help someone later that might have this issue.

This is the boat last year before I discovered termites:

Cap coming off:

2. Member
    More pics:

Termite damage:

Transom wasn’t really bad yet, but headed there:

Termites really like foam, notice the termite trails:

3. Member
    Now starting to build back:

New floor glassed in:

Coosa transom:

Recessed Trolling pedal tray built in:

4. Member
    Wow. That’s interesting. Never thought about termites getting in there. Looks like you will have a new boat before long. Lot of work being done.

Well done, so far!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

6. Member
    Not the only one. Couple years I did the same thing you are going thru now. Apparently towards the end of Bees they started using really green wood that had bugs in them. The 2100 I had open had the "tunnels" all thru it .
    Why not do a full coosa ??

7. Member
    I had never heard heard that about the green wood. I have heard they cut corners on sealing the wood with glass. I would have never guessed it looked like that under the floors if I hadn’t seen the termites fly out that one time. I guess the only way to know is to take it apart.

8. Member
    The day after I saw the termites fly out, I started sticking my phone in places you can’t normally see and taking pictures. This pictures was behind the batteries in the back compartment. If you zoom in you can see probably hundreds of wings. From what I understand, the swarmer termites lose their wings very soon after they take flight. I don’t know if these wings were from this year or some other time. So if you see a bunch of wings in your boat, you may want to look around.

9. Member
    Great pictures, thanks for posting. If you take any more post them up. It's crazy how much the termites like foam too.

BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. Member
    When its done you will have anew boat, thanks for the pics.

12. Member
    I would also look around your property as they can get to your house, shed, garage, or firewood.
    I was fishing on the james river last year in a narrow creek. As I trolled to the rear of creek there was a rotten stump blocking me. I noticed bugs moving around and realized it was termites. So I got out of that creek fast. Two sources they look for wood and moisture.
    When they build boats they were using resin and after two boat tear downs I noticed as mentioned they left fiberglass dry in a lot of places. I rebuilt both boats using epoxy resin. More expensive but waterproof. Especially needed around the hull strakes, stringers, and transom.
    Looking good so far.

13. Member
    Just an update picture. It’s had a pause, but hopefully it gets back on track this week.

Last edited by hydroplane; 01-24-2021 at 05:53 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    I would also look around your property as they can get to your house, shed, garage, or firewood.
    I kept the boat in a closed in pole barn the majority of the time. I called my home termite control folks to come look at it and it has termites as well. They are going to treat the existing termites and add it to my home schedule to treat it regularly as well.

15. Member
    Very nice rebuild!! I love the 180 pro vees been fishing out of them since they came out, if i dont get a stroker im going back to the 180 and redo one
    And great info about the termites!

Termites are just about everywhere in the environment. Usually, if you keep your wood off the ground, you are good. Looks like the wood got wet and they found it when they swarmed some time ago.
    Wishing I was Fishing

17. Member
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Goobs
    Lake Hartwell
    Phoenix

18. Member
    More pictures of progress. It has gotten slow, but the cap is going back on soon. Padded front deck and recessed trolling tray are done. New live well pumps and hoses are going in.

19. Member
    Hulls make water through condensation. Very hard to avoid unless stored inside. Keep the pictures coming, your boat is looking great. The carpeting picture, is your guy patterning & pre-fitting or installing?

20. Moderator
    Looks to be coming along nicely. It will be a solid boat for years to come.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast