Thread: SHO idle

SHO idle

Since it has gotten colder I have noticed in the last couple of trips out my SHO idles about 300 rpms higher than normal especially on the first crank of the day. Is this normal for the SHO or a 4 stroke motor kind of like a car? Thanks I’m advance this is my first winter running the SHO and I just want to know if this is normal or if I should have this looked at.

2. Member
    I would assume its doing this to keep the engine at a certain temperature? Sounds right but who knows. Im a new SHO owner as well.
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

3. Member
    I assume you are idling about 800 - 1000 RPM when you first start. Normal until warms up, then should drop back to 500 - 600. Don't lose too much sleep over 100 RPM or so. Tach's seem to be that far off. My memory says normal idle for SHO is either 500 or 600 when warm.

If doesn't drop back after a minute, could be a problem.

Good sign your motor is warm enough to run. I wait until drops off to shift into gear or do any moving to avoid banging the LU.

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply’s I appreciate it.