Thread: Keel guard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keel guard

Looking to put a keel guard on my boat. Any tips or brand name suggestions?

2. Member
    any brand, FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Best would be Hamby's heavy duty which is only put on by an approved dealer........DIY would be Keelshield......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I sell, use, and install Megaware Keelguard....Made in the USA, Lifetime warranty. I have had on on my boat for 2 years now, works great, looks good, and no more worries about scratching the keel. Send me a message with any questions. They are very easy to install, I did mine in a couple of hours in the driveway.

https://shopmarshlandmarine.com/sear...=Megaware+keel

1999 Triton TR-19 PDC
    1999 Mercury 175 EFI
    25P Tempest Prop-worked by Croxton
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MDI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Console
    Humminbird Helix 5
    Humminbird Mega 360
    Mega Live
    8in Vance MFG. jack plate
    2 10ft Minnkota Raptors

5. Member
    wait until it warms up
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

6. Member
    Megaware Keelguard is the best one i have used they are smooth looking and very well made,wait till july to install they got to be very warm to install

7. Member
    Another vote for Hamby's.

Gatorguard keel shield on my Vexus.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    Linex!
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

I put a Hamby's on my 1991 Ranger 390. I see my old boat now and then and it's still going strong. Same with the Hamby's I put on my 2001 Ranger R91, the last time I saw it.

If you go with a self-install type FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS and wait until the weather is warm to install it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Linex!
    I would LOVE to do this on my boat but can't find anyone around here that does it.......from east TX to west Mississippi......my local Rihno Lining said they would do it but never don't the Keel of a boat.......not sure I want to be the first for them....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    Hamby's--the heavy duty type that has to be installed by dealer works for me. I run my boat on the asphalt ramp and then get truck. It's tough and I put it through its paces. No place to to tie it up and this is what a keel guard should do.

Have had 3 over the years. A bit spendy but worth it. Had one come loose and Hamby's sent me the glue and I fixed that fairly quick.

Hamby's offered to have it repaired at no expense but I had to take it to authorized dealer. Would have taken a few days to get it in shop and it was a simple repair so they sent the glue and told me how to do it.

good product and great customer service.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have a Gatorshield keel guard more than please with it , preparation is the key to installing and the warmer the better and even an extra pair of hands don't hurt. If I'm correct they have a lifetime warranty and even sent me a replacement when somehow I got a hole in mine. I beach it right on concrete ramps or whatever to run and get my boat ,first one lasted 10years before it developed a hole and the new one has been on since 2016 when I replaced the original at no charge. Great customer service
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

14. Member
    Gator is thinner and easier to install than Megaware.

Megaware looks better.

I have a Gator and it is doing its job.

I have installed them.

1. make sure it is straight and very flexible to begin with —- warm
    2. count the ribs, use a piece of colored narrow ( 1/8- 1/4 ) tape on the center rib.
    3. best to have extra hands, tape it to the keel, with center ( colored ) rib perfectly centered.
    4. using a sharpie trace the outline onto the hull.
    5. remove, scuff, scuff scuff the hull up to the line
    6. Clean, use the shields products—- instructions.

Done properly you only get one chance, it touches, it sticks.

Finish, remove sharpie line and run a bead of 4200 on all edges of shield

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I like the Gator Shield/ Keel Shield. Works great on the ones I've installed and have them on my two boats.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I like the Gator Shield/ Keel Shield. Works great on the ones I've installed and have them on my two boats.
    Installed gator shield on my ranger this past season and it works great. Take your time, follow the instructions and install on a warm day. Tip... seal the perimeter of the keel gaurd with marine grade silicone and forget about it.

18. Member
    Megaware make a good keel guard
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I would LOVE to do this on my boat but can't find anyone around here that does it.......from east TX to west Mississippi......my local Rihno Lining said they would do it but never don't the Keel of a boat.......not sure I want to be the first for them....
    I don’t know if Killeen is too far for you. The owner of Texas Boat World in Killeen also owns a Line-X shop next door to his dealership. When I ordered my boat from them back in 2014, they just took it next door and sprayed it when it came in. That stuff is literally bulletproof. When I ordered my boat they showed me a used boat that was very old but the “keel guard” still looked new. If something does somehow happen, it is very easy to fix. They guarantee it for life. You can schedule a time with them and they will do it while you wait. You can also get it in different colors too. I think it was $400 or $500. They just added it to the price of the boat when I did mine. The owner’s name is Cliff Brown. He used to advertise it as Keel-X on the Bass Champs TV show about 10 or 12 years ago. I know that might be a little further than you wanted to go but it was just a thought. I live in the Houston area and it is a 3 hr trip for me.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Solid after 4 seasons Paid $400

2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast