Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flow rite remote drain...what a pita.

The concept is great. I've decorated my head numerous times pulling the drain plug and was so looking forward to this innovation.

After 4 tries and not getting more then a 1/4" back and forth I put the manual plug back in. And since it's a 2010 Triton 21hp I got to remove the batteries, oil container and a few other special tricks just to get to it.

Its headed to the shop for a few things out of my expertise, maybe they can get it to work...products that take so much massaging chap my hide!

2. Member
    Had zero problems installing and operating mine You read the directions for installation?
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    Bummer! Mine was a snap.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

4. Member
    Mine has worked great.

You guys may be doing this with the plug, don't know if this may be the problem. When I first installed mine it didn't seal completely. Come to find out, you have to turn the closing handle a little more to get it completely closed. What was happening on mine when you turn the handle it was only to the O-ring seal and was not completely seated. So when you turn the handle to "close", give it a little more turn past the close stopping point for it to fully seat. And remember to keep it lubricated. I now spray mine with silicone lubricant every time I use it. You probably don't have to do this each time but that's just me. So far, 3 years & no problems.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Bummer! Mine was a snap.

same took less than 1 hr
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    There is a piece of aluminum inside the control lever assembly that will bend easily if there is too much resistance to the plug, if it bends the plug won't close all the way. Dont use Vaseline petroleum Jelly on the plug O ring it's too thick in the cold weather.

Correct billnorman1. I wasn't saying to put 200 pounds of pressure on it just give it a little pressure to turn it. You can actually feel the plug seat as you do this. I do this every time and haven't bent mine at all. Guess you just have to spell it out for some.

9. Banned
    A little smear of 2-4-C on the o-ring helps a lot.

10. Member
    I've had mine freeze open twice this year already. Least little bit of water in the bilge will freeze around the plug.

Carry some spray de-icer.

Best bet is to close it when you put the boat away, but not used to doing that.

11. Member
    If inserting a regular drain plug was just too much work.............well................

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    If inserting a regular drain plug was just too much work.............well................
    You should see where some of these are located before making that statement.
    As for the OP sounds like a typical case of OE ..

13. Member
    If you're 75 and have bad knees.......well........

No problems installing or using mine ! There is an adjustment that has to be made so that it will close all the way and you need to lubricate the "O" ring too.
    I use the special type of "Grease" found at a pool supply for on the "O" ring for the Pump filter gasket. I also mounted my control in the bilge using a Trailer Plug bracket as I didn't want to drill a 2" hole anywhere in the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

From the beginning, this "innovation" looked to me like a solution looking for a problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Some things work for some people, some don't. I have dual Talons on my boat. You can't just stoop down & put the plug in. You have to get down on your hands & knees to do it. If that isn't bad enough, try hitting your back & head on those brackets a few times. They don't give at all. So, if it works for you great, if it doesn't, don't waste your money on it.

I've thought about adding one many times since some of the States have gotten so involved with Zebra mussels. So long as all the plumbing was tight the only time I used to pull it was after fishing in the rain..
    On the Allison even without poles you have to get o m both knees and be a contortionist.

18. Member
    Best option I ever put on my boat besides the Trick Steps. I was one of the first to put sidescan on HB on the boat, got chit, first with a 4Stroke (Verado), got chit, first to put power poles on, got chit, first with spot lock (3k for a TM), got chit, early one to put on trick step, got chit, and early bird on the remote drain plug, got chit. and now? everyone has them.....Come to the dark side BigSteve, and yes, I am given YOU chit LOL.

On the drain plug. KEEP IT LUBED UP. When I first got it I was struggling to get it closed.....bilge pumps going off, etc...then I read about lubing the gasket and all problems solved. easy peezy now...
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

19. Member
    My boat came with one, in order for me to get it to close I have to put way too much pressure on the handle. So what I’ve been doing is closing it and then tapping it to seat, defeating the purpose. I’m not sure what the problem is, I haven’t researched it but I know one thing - it’s not working right. My last boat had one and it worked perfectly. Mine has plenty of travel, for some reason it gets in a bind, any suggestions?

20. Member
    Last three boats. Installed two myself, one was installed by Ranger. All worked perfect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast