Need a newShallow cranking rod?

Looking for a shallow (under 10 ft) cranking rod for under or around the $250 price point. I’ve been looking at the new 2021 levantes, the zodias (mh glass) and The Orochi swing fire. Just wondering what everyone uses and what there experience are with the rods. Thanks

2. Member
    Dobyns 704cb and 705cb graphite. Highly recommended!

3. Member
    I just bought the expride 7’ M glass for squarebills. Lakes have skim ice around me right now, so I haven’t been able to catch a fish on it yet. I did some casts around a pond the other day and it feels really nice. Has a really nice tip and I wa surprised at the balance and sensitivity for it being a composite rod. You can find them within your budget pretty easily.

4. Member
    Anyone have experience with the ALX Ikos Hustler?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaillusion View Post
    Anyone have experience with the ALX Ikos Hustler?
    Yes I used to own a hustler. Good rod for the money. Buttery smooth when it loads up. The only thing that I didn’t care for was that the blank was pretty thick, but it balanced decently.

6. Member
    I read somewhere on here that someone else had that same issue. How’s the sensitivity?

7. Member
    St Croix legend glass 7ft 2 medium

8. Member
    ALX Huslter

Yes, I own a couple of them. I throw everything from flat sided balsa baits (2' to 4' deep) to dt10's & rockcrawlers (10' to 14' deep). Its a great rod

The Swingfire is a great “smaller squarebill” rod. Just keep in mind it is a little whippy in the top end of the rod. Flatside Special is an incredible squarebill rod as well. Daiwa Rebellion 7 ft 4 heavy is another great rod that can be had for 200.00. Love mine for moving baits.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 by 3 View Post
    Yes I used to own a hustler. Good rod for the money. Buttery smooth when it loads up. The only thing that I didn’t care for was that the blank was pretty thick, but it balanced decently.
    The Hustler blank does have a larger diameter (than say our ZOLO Crank) because it's a glass rod. Two ways to build a rod blank - thick wall & thin butt diameter or thin wall and thick diameter. This is to achieve hoop strength - which means the rod stays round when flexed.

The thick wall, thin butt design makes a heavy blank. We feel like that is a negative from performance standpoint. Glass gets really heavy when you use a thick wall.

11. Member
    Learn something new everyday with the input from ALX. Come on better weather so I can try out my new ALX Hustler.

Megabass Levante Flatside Special is a great squarebill rod. If you need a little more backbone for squarebills I would suggest the Diablo Spec R as that is what I use more than anything for that.

13. Banned
    Dobyns 705CB!

14. Member
    Something in the alx line looks good. Board sponsor.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"