Finally got my birthday trip in... 1-13-2021

I had a birthday trip planned last week but had to cancel due to some health issues. Luckily I got another chance to go yesterday so I jumped all over it. Dean picked me up a little before 7am and we headed toward Shell Knob. When we passed the shopping center the sign at the bank said 32* and there was a pretty heavy frost everywhere. When we backed the Ranger into the water the temp gauge read 42.4 degrees. In spite of that, we could see several pods a shad working on the surface of the clear, dead calm water. I was hoping to duplicate the trip Gary and I had last year when Gary caught one on his first cast and we experienced an unusually fast bite for January. But instead it was probably more than two hours before we got our first bite. That first bite though was an indicator of how the day was going to go. The bites were few and far between but we both put some quality fish in the boat. It would be hard to decide which year I liked best. A bunch of dinkers with a handful of good fish mixed in, or a few quality bites with just one or two dinks mixed in.... I think I liked both.

Last edited by luvdmymerc; 01-14-2021 at 04:25 PM.

2. Member
    I think I would prefer a day with quality bites like you 2 had Happy belated birthday !!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the report and pics

3. Member
    Looks like a great time
    thanks for sharing

4. Member
    Lovdmymerc you guys are great and always post good intel and pics . I am planning on going down to the Shell Knob area tomorrow and hope to fish Thursday if all goes as planned. Any intel you can share would be very much appreciated. Hell maybe i can get my brother John Br. to join me....

khart...the only thing I can tell you is.... not all fish go deep when the water is cold. The guides are taking their clients out deep and catching them on ice jigs, spoons, grubs, and swim baits. If you can find them and them activated that can be a fun bit. We found deep fish every where we went but could NOT get them to bite. All of our fish came from 10' or less. I know there is a jerk bait bite going and a wiggle wart bite, and the A-rig it getting bit too. But.... I get so many bites on the Ned Rig, its hard for me to lay it down. Peanut butter and jelly color has been best but.... when it slows down you can get a few more bites on the green pumpkin/orange. Good luck. I think my buddy with the red Ranger is fishing down there again on Thursday. I'll be fishing with Gary out of his old blue and white Charger up in the Hideaway area. It supposed to be a perfect day...

6. Member
    Thanks for the info and looks like next mid week we have some good fish able days coming. As always take care, good fishing, and God Bless!

Thank you sir.... you too.