Anyone recently been to Cedar Creek?

Have a half day off tomorrow and was thinking there or Herrington but haven’t heard what the water temps are on Cedar. As long as they aren’t in the upper 30’s or frozen I would be fine to go haha

Herrington has been in the low 50s and mid to upper 40s depending on where you are but I’m expecting cedar to be much colder
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Spot-a-saurus; 01-14-2021 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Grammar

2. Member
    Regardless id rather go to cedar. What did you end up doing.
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

3. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    Regardless id rather go to cedar.
    +1

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Regardless id rather go to cedar. What did you end up doing.
    Herrington for 3 hours late afternoon before I got blown off it. Just 1 spot that went 1.98.
    but I like Herrington, even in the winter. Wind killed me today tho, couldn’t stay off the bank lol

5. Member
    I'd rather go to Herrington any day myself.

6. Member
    I fished Herrington from 96-99 when I lived in Lexington. I did catch a 20 lb near state record hybrid but the lake was a dump. From that time vs trips to cedar the past say 5 years- cedar blows the doors off Herrington but maybe latter is better now?

7. Member
    What I like about cedar is when you go you have a good chance of catching a good fish. Almost Everytime I go to cedar I catch a 4-5#. Might only catch one or 2 but usually they’re a good one. I’ve never been to Herrington but that’s because I’ve never heard anyone saying much good about it
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

What I like about cedar is when you go you have a good chance of catching a good fish. Almost Everytime I go to cedar I catch a 4-5#. Might only catch one or 2 but usually they’re a good one. I’ve never been to Herrington but that’s because I’ve never heard anyone saying much good about it
    Herrington gets a bad rap mostly because it’s a lake with a steep learning curve and even steeper banks. March through June at any given 8 hour tournament it can take 20+ in 5 fish to win (with the big exception of immediate post spawn when the girls are resting up) Maybe not every tournament but it’s not a surprise to see it happen. I’ve come in with high teen bags many times only to be the brides maid or not get paid lol. I also live 5-10 minutes from ramps on both sides of the lake so it’s where I go when time is an issue. Cedar creek is no doubt a Great Lake but Herrington is definitely no slouch for numbers or size but it’s certainly a puzzle more often than not. I’ve seen Numerous 6s and an 8+ come across the scales in the last 4 years and in spring time a 5lber is certainly no guarantee of big fish.
    It’s unlike any other lake I have ever fished though. It’s just a ridiculously deep river lol so I understand why a lot of people hate it and go to cedar instead. Herrington has beat my head into the wall more than I’d care to admit

Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    I fished Herrington from 96-99 when I lived in Lexington. I did catch a 20 lb near state record hybrid but the lake was a dump. From that time vs trips to cedar the past say 5 years- cedar blows the doors off Herrington but maybe latter is better now?
    The lake really does struggle with trash and debris in the water. I’ve already tanked one lower unit on our merc 4 stroke and have barely had it a year. It has some massive hybrids in it and they are a blast to catch. I can’t say cedar “blows the doors” off Herrington except for late summer and then it does for sure. Spring time or early summer I’m good with going either place and many times go to Herrington as a go to for fun.

10. Member
    I use to fish Herrington with a buddy a lot, but haven't been on it in quite sometime. Blows folks mind when a short cast away from the bank you can be anywhere from 100 to 200' of water, but if they find the short ledges or shelves of 20 to 30 or so feet of water on them & get bit pretty good they'd change their minds in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I use to fish Herrington with a buddy a lot, but haven't been on it in quite sometime. Blows folks mind when a short cast away from the bank you can be anywhere from 100 to 200' of water, but if they find the short ledges or shelves of 20 to 30 or so feet of water on them & get bit pretty good they'd change their minds in my opinion.
    For sure. I remember the first few times I fished it as a kid with my uncle. I thought my bait would never hit the bottom lol. It’s also a place that is so dependent on Shad that the fish never stay in one spot long at all seems like. Get some consistency around spawn and that’s it lol. All in all though it consistently kicks out good numbers and size most years but it is definitely a strange lake compared to most.

12. Member
    Anyone have a water report on cedar? Is it muddy? Temps?

Quote Originally Posted by Hackworth12 View Post
    Anyone have a water report on cedar? Is it muddy? Temps?
    Last I heard was second hand when I posted this thread. It was iced over behind the 1770 bridge and main lake was 40 degrees. That was a couple of weeks ago. If I were a betting man I would say most of the lake is high 30s water temp after all of the snow and cold rain