Thread: Leader Knot

Leader Knot

I've got a few 7'6" Phenix bass recon elites paired with Team Lews speed spool spinning reels and when using longer leaders ive notice the knot will slap against the guides, including the tip while casting. Theyre rigged with 20lb spiderwire aquacamo braid and with 8-12lb test pline shinsei leaders. Does this compromise the knot as its being casted or is it ok and normal? I usually use the BT knot.
    Last edited by Hoobnayst; 01-14-2021 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Knot type

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoobnayst View Post
    I've got a few 7'6" Phenix bass recon elites paired with Team Lews speed spool spinning reels and when using longer leaders ive notice the knot will slap against the guides, including the tip while casting. Theyre rigged with 20lb spiderwire aquacamo braid and with 8-12lb test pline shinsei leaders. Does this compromise the knot as its being casted or is it ok and normal?
    what knot you using...?

3. Member
    BT knot usually, probly should have put that in there lol, I edited the post. Anyway heres a YouTube link to the BT knot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=JmgEVCdZVDw
    Last edited by Hoobnayst; 01-14-2021 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Link

Don't see the video and not familiar with the knot, but I've found that this is a problem...sometimes. Others its not. In my experience, if it's a technique where you're casting and winding, it becomes more of an issue than if it's one where you're not making as many casts. Past that, I've really found that brand/type of braid makes a big difference. If the braid is a type that holds up to abrasion really well (i.e., doesn't get "fuzzy" when it rubs on something), this becomes much more of a concern. If it's the type that will get fuzzy, I've noticed it kind of getting caught up in the leader knot and otherwise getting torn up where the line repeatedly slaps my guides.

I think two things cause this: The obvious one is that it's hitting the guides more when you're making more casts. The sneaky thing that seems to make it worse, I think, is that the line ends up laying on the spool not quite as nicely when you're casting and retrieving over and over to where the knot is more likely to get caught up in the braid underneath which makes it not come off the spool nearly as well. When you're fishing more slow, you end up always straightening the line out and having it taut as it goes back on the spool which makes it behave better.

The best example I have of where it was a problem was when I was casting a light balsa on a spinning rod. The braid I had was Fins XS...super slick, smooth line that handles nicely. But it also tends to get fuzzy when it gets some abrasion. I'm a knot checker anyhow, but long story short, I had to keep an eye on it and retie WAY more than I would in other situations. While paying attention, I noticed the knot almost doubling back on itself and catching the braid behind it which made the issue worse. I switched to a 4 carrier braid and though it made a little more noise in the guides, the issue was gone. My working theory is that these smooth, light braids are made up of smaller individual fibers that are easier to damage. Decrease the number of fibers, the individual fibers are bigger and more durable, you don't have as many issues. The tradeoff is that those smoother braids with smaller fibers cast better and are much more pleasant to fish, so I definitely don't always go 4 carrier on spinning rods.

One other factor is having a long tag on the leader knot, specifically the fluoro tag, that makes the knot catch worse. That's probably obvious, but I'm one who generally leaves longer tags than most anyone else because I believe (and my results seem to confirm) that a lot of knot failures happen when a knot slips just a bit and there's no tag to act as a buffer. I needed to adjust for that, and I now trim my leader knot tags tight when I'm going to be casting and retrieving.

This is all me spitballing, but hopefully it's worth more than you paid for it!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Banned
    I use the GT knot, pretty close to zero issues and very small. The think is I use small diameter bread like, 10-15lbs to mostly 8lbs fluoro. The thicker the line, the thicker the knock the more issues casting through the guides.

I'm always trying knots looking for the easiest and strongest ones that my old jacked up hands can manipulate and my tired old eyes can see to do !! I have nerve damage to my fingers and feet, so I can barely feel a line under 10# test. I don't know the name of this knot for Braid to Floro other than Shin's Knot, but Shin Fukae has it on YouTube. I've used the Albright, Modified Albright, Blood Knot, FG Knot, Surgeons Loop, and many others !! This one is easy for me to tie and it's strong and very SMALL !! It goes thru the guides well and I usually make my leaders at twice the rod length, so the knot is gonna be on the reel at some point. I've never had it stick !!

Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Modified albright for me. Goes through the guides better than any I've tried if you cut the tags close.

Update--- I was brain dead yesterday (happens a lot) the modified albright I use is the Alberto..
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 01-15-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Shin's knot is my knot of choice, as well...I and others have been calling it the "lazy Alberto." It holds up great, and is super easy to tie. I've tested it against the Alberto/Modified Alberto/RP knot/whatever else it's called by tying a braid to fluoro loop with one end tied Lazy Alberto and the other end tied regular Alberto. I stuck one end of the loop over a fence post, the other over a rail on a golf cart, and drove off. After 5 tries, the Alberto broke first twice and the lazy Alberto 3 times. Basically equal in my book, and given how easy the Lazy version is to tie, it's a winner!

An FG knot is very slightly thinner and when tied correctly is probably a little stronger, but it's also about 3 times longer than the others (which causes its own issues in getting through guides), and more importantly it's really tough to tie. This is especially true on light line as you end up breaking the leader if you're getting it cinched down right. If you don't get it cinched down right (and being able to tell if it is or is not is not always easy), it's the only knot I'm aware of where you can cast it a couple hundred times thinking all is well when suddenly it lets loose. That's scary, and combined with the other problems is why I've gone away from it except for attaching a 25 lb leader to braid when flipping and pitching.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I've gotten to the point I can tie a good FG knot. Took lots of practice on cold Covid winter days, but I've got it now. I watched J T Kinney's video on YouTube and it REALLY HELPED.

10. Member
    Shin Fukae for me but that BT knot looks easy also, I want to know what line clipper he was using in the video, it looked very good, clean cuts ?

11. Member
    My .02. For leaders that have to go through guides I do NOT want any knot that has a tag line that is parallel to either the leader or the main line. No matter how close you cut it, the tag will catch the guides. Best thing is to have a tag that is perpendicular to the knot. The FG knot, Surgeons knot, double-uni all have both tags going straight out.

I like the FG knot, but it's a PITA to tie...or was. Until I saw Brent Ehrler's video. He has so much easier of a way to do it.

2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Guido Hibdon has a video was basically the same.. I used that knot for a couple of years and never did get comfortable with tying. Held great one time and complete failure the next.. Especially if I didn't tie it frequently. I was to inconsistent at tying it. So kudos to those who can. It's just not for me.
    As for going thru guides I understand what your saying about parallel tags. But if you look at his video the braid end is rather bulky and gets worse the larger diameter line used. It casts very smooth --- I had issues with it hanging on the rod tip when reeling in a fish.

13. Member
    Try the alberto knot, pretty easy and quick, really strong knot.

Its my pick after many years or trial and error.
    Quote Originally Posted by jatkins1981 View Post
    Try the alberto knot, pretty easy and quick, really strong knot.

15. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    My .02. For leaders that have to go through guides I do NOT want any knot that has a tag line that is parallel to either the leader or the main line. No matter how close you cut it, the tag will catch the guides. Best thing is to have a tag that is perpendicular to the knot. The FG knot, Surgeons knot, double-uni all have both tags going straight out.

I like the FG knot, but it's a PITA to tie...or was. Until I saw Brent Ehrler's video. He has so much easier of a way to do it.

I also tie the FG knot. That's and interesting way to tie it. I use G-Man's way by tying the braid to my reel handle, and cranking it tight. then sit on my rod handle with my rod out in front of me. Then I have my spool of FC on the floor like Brent with my leader going over my leg. this allows me to use both hands for tying the knot. Super easy that way.
    2021 Skeeter Zx225
    2021 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Ultrex 112# w/ Ipilot
    Helix 12 Mega+SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ DI
    Helix 9 Chirp/GPS
    Garmin 1222 w/ LSV32
    Ionic Lithium

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I use the GT knot, pretty close to zero issues and very small. The think is I use small diameter bread like, 10-15lbs to mostly 8lbs fluoro. The thicker the line, the thicker the knock the more issues casting through the guides.
    Yup, GT knot is fast and easy to tie; works great!
    ciao,
    Marc

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Modified albright for me. Goes through the guides better than any I've tried if you cut the tags close.

Update--- I was brain dead yesterday (happens a lot) the modified albright I use is the Alberto..
    yep. Alberto knot. 8 wraps up, 8 wraps down. Cut the tags as close as you can get them. I have a few spinning outfits with the micro guides and the leader knots slides through easily. Just make sure the leader is not long enough to get the knot on the spool when casting. That mistake is an eye opener when it shows itself. Lol.

A little dab of Loon outdoors UV Knot Sense.. makes em smooth as silk..