Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bass lakes - Southern 1/2

I'm thinking about fishing some lakes in WI this year. What are some lakes in the southern half of the state that are enjoyable to bass fish? Geneva and Delavan are on my radar as they are not too far from me, but I am ignorant to all WI lakes. Any input is appreciated.

2. Member
    The Madison chain is a must, I've heard Delevan has fallen off the past few years but I haven't been there in about 5 years so just hear say and Geneva is good but it's real clear so a little tough to figure out if your not use to fishing gin clear, water, depending on your boat is I'd add the Mississippi near Lacrosse and the Wisconsin South of the Dell's( this can be sketchy for the glass boats at times). Jmo ofcourse
    Cheese County Bass Club

3. Member
    Green is another fun one but can be challenging
    Fish have fins, they swim

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I'm in a glass boat. I would prefer lakes to rivers. The Madison chain looks pretty good, seems like a lot of areas to fish. Green is another one I'll look in to. I don't mind tough days sometimes, just enjoy going to new lakes.

Green is a Great Lake but has been pounded like a working girl on payday the past few years. Last year was tough, really tough.

Somewhere between here and there, but not in the middle.
    Pounded like a working girl on payday! I love this! Jmo, the big lakes like Geneva, Delavan, ect get alot of attention. When I look for new water, I look for smaller lakes with a decent launch. Seems the smaller lakes get less press (lakelink) and get less pressure.

2007 Legend Alpha 199 / 225 ProXs

7. Member
    Yeah, it seems like all of the lakes are getting hammered lately. I'm assuming the Madison chain gets a pretty substantial amount of pressure also. I like the smaller lakes as well. My boat has a 225 on it, so I have to find smaller lakes that don't have a HP restriction.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdubracing View Post
    Yeah, it seems like all of the lakes are getting hammered lately. I'm assuming the Madison chain gets a pretty substantial amount of pressure also. I like the smaller lakes as well. My boat has a 225 on it, so I have to find smaller lakes that don't have a HP restriction.
    None of the smaller lakes that I fish have HP restrictions just speed limits.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

9. Member
    Big Green is probably my favorite lake to fish the past several years in WI. It does get pressured but I've had way more good days than bad and several that have been great. If someone asked where's the best shot of getting both a LM and SM over 4 in one day in WI I'd say Green or Geneva.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Big Green is probably my favorite lake to fish the past several years in WI. It does get pressured but I've had way more good days than bad and several that have been great. If someone asked where's the best shot of getting both a LM and SM over 4 in one day in WI I'd say Green or Geneva.
    you should start entering the tournies out there! Its only been taking 14-16 lbs!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

11. Member
    How are Pewaukee and Muskego?

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    yea I usually stay away from most of the lakes near the heavily populated cities. Unless you plan to fish them during the week. The farther north you go the better it gets!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    True to green. Last year was a weird one when I was there, with rain and winds the west half of the lake was mud and couldn't see past 1'. 2 years ago I was sight fishing smallies in 18'.
    Fish have fins, they swim

14. Member
    The last time I was on Pewaukee there was literally a line of boats following one and other down the weed edge most were Muskie fishing but still extremely busy.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

15. Member
    Pewaukee has fallen off quite a bit over the past few years. Seems like after the 9lb smallie was caught it has received tremendous pressure. Delavan is just intolerable to me now. At least at LG, you can stay 100 ft apart. The number of times guys have come right in between me and the bank when I was casting to the bank at Delavan is ridiculous. It is just common practice there to run all over each other because there is nowhere to go.

16. Member
    head up to Winnebago chain. Access to 3 different lakes with lots of water.

Little Muskego is ok during the week. Not a lot of big fish but 20-40 fish days are common once you figure them out. Big Muskego has big fish, but can be hard to navigate if you don’t know the swamp.

18. Member
    Pewaukee is horrible...never seen a lake go from great to terrible that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbass View Post
    Pewaukee is horrible...never seen a lake go from great to terrible that fast.
    agreed...Fox lake is working hard to take that trophy from Pewaukee though.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassaddic View Post
    Green is a Great Lake but has been pounded like a working girl on payday the past few years. Last year was tough, really tough.
    Ha...It can get pretty ruff on dollar day too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast