Thread: Motor Flusher

Motor Flusher

Does Yahama have a specific motor flusher or will something like the link below work. I want something to start my motor to warm it up to suck out the oil for an oil change. I have a Yamaha on my bass boat and a Mercury on a pontoon. I assume this would also work on a Mercury.

https://www.partsvu.com/whitecap-pro...ps-p-2402.html

2. Member
    that only works on motors with "high" water pickups, not with pickup in the nose cone like SHO's. Yamaha sells one specifically for SHO's but many on here say it does not work well. FYI, I've never had trouble sucking the oil out of my SHO when it's cold (above 60 degrees air temp).
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

I use the muffs like your link shows on my Suziki (pontoon), but my Yamaha doesn't get enough water flow from the muffs to alow the motor to pee fully.
    I use a flush tank on the Yamaha V150LTRB
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

4. Member
    The Yamaha SHO muffs are expensive and while I have not tried them I also read enough bad reviews to not spend the money. You may be and probably are smarter than I was but I'll tell my story in hopes it helps someone else. I wanted to warm my 250 SHO up to change the oil. I had a rubber storage box that put the water level above the lower water pick ups on the lower unit. I thought that would be ok and that the water pump would pick up and prime itself. Big mistake. I fired her up and within a minute I got an overheat alarm. I smoked the water pump. Fortunately I didn't hurt the engine but I did have to put a complete water pump kit including the housing in. If you use a tank or tub be sure it covers the cavitation plate. By the way I can second the opinion that you can suck the oil out with no trouble without warming the engine up. I use a pump up vacuum unit made for oil evacuation and it works great in the early spring or fall. I haven't tried it in the dead of winter so really, really cold temps might present a problem but the multi viscosity Yamalube is made to flow at cold temps!

5. Member
    +1 on the vacuum pump method, usually in the spring when air temps start to rise.