Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    I wish I could, but the box was literally unusable. It was almost broken in half, and the styrofoam was all crushed up into little pieces.......
    Just include the torn up box in your bigger box return. Don't put it on your motor, use it, then expect to return it without a challenge on their part.
    2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    This what they should do, no questions asked. Your taking a chance on running it not knowing if a shaft is bent and costing you more money for the repair.

This for sure. Get a dial indicator and set it up and turn the shaft to see if it is bent before you settle about anything. If it's bent, it's an anchor not a foot

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    I would have refused it at the UPS center. Everything I have received from UPS recently looks like they shipped it in a dump truck. I also would have expected a more robust crate or box for shipping a lower unit. Sorry for your bad luck.
    same here, ups would send it back to sender on their dime,should have refused to accept it

4. Member
    I'm dealing with them again on their busted stuff. Second rod was sent to replace the first they broke in half to fit the box they had. This one was shipped in a tube which would have been great if they had put some packing in the tip end, and maybe taped the handle to the side. But they didn't and the rod sliding back and forth the way they sling crap around the tip is broken off, totally disgusting. I guess I need to make a road trip to mid-America and buy me a damn rod

5. Member
    Was it a brand new lower unit or used ? In one of the pics it doesn't look new to me > Just curious.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    No need to worry about a box. Consider taking it to one of the U-Ship or UPS stores and have them pack the return shipment.

Make them pick it up. It’s not on you. UPS is self insured and they’ll piss and moan and lie to you. Don’t keep the lower you have. Make them ship a new one. As long as the UPS gal noted the damage you should be made whole. If had several run ins with UPS. Worst co ever
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

I have no idea why anyone, businesses or individuals ship heavy items in a cardboard box, that is insane.
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 01-14-2021 at 07:54 PM.

9. Member
    IMHO, the shipper is responsible for this entire fiasco. UPS is going to deny the claim based on the FACT that they shipped thing in a well used box! There was basically no protection provided for it. Truth be told, it never should have been accepted within the UPS system. Come to think if it, that might give the shipper an out!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    Some minor updates:

First of all, to those who said I shouldn't have accepted it, you're right lol. I've admitted that mistake in two earlier replies but it seems like I need it beat over my head more.

After emailing Shaver Marine the pictures and other relevant information, I have not heard from them. I will wait until tomorrow before following up, but it seems to me that it's unreasonable for me to wait for a claim to be processed which could take weeks or months. And there's no guarantee UPS will play nice. I will push hard for a partial refund.

I took the lower unit to my trusted dealer (Precision Marine in Goldsboro NC, great great GREAT folks) and they were sympathetic to my plight. The mechanic said the cosmetic damage didn't look too serious, and he agreed that they should take a dial indicator and test the shafts. They also agreed to vacuum check the lower unit. I trust these folks so hopefully everything works out.

Assuming all the important bits work, I won't return it. Doesn't make financial sense and I risk damage shipping it back. I do believe I deserve some sort of money back. They have insurance they should be covered. The guy at Precision Marine brought up a really good point. Why did they ship it in a cardboard box?? When Precision gets their motors and lowers it's always in crates and buttoned up tight from Suzuki. It seems exceedingly irresponsible they shipped it in just the cardboard retail box.

I hope Josh at Shaver Marine does the right thing. Seems like both him and UPS dropped the ball.
    Last edited by th365thli; 01-14-2021 at 04:46 PM.

11. Fishing is a Passion
    So lets say the Lower unit cost you XYZ and for you to re-pack in a wooden box and send back cost you $250. You install the unit and it craps on the first trip. I would rather be out of $250 and know that the damaged unit is back with the dealer that caused the problem in the first place.

Hopefully they would work with you by sending you another unit packed correctly or give you your money back plus the $250 you spent to ship back. This is clearly on the dealership shipping a product unsecured.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

12. Member
    My 2 cents worth, looks like it was dropped and from maybe an 18 wheeler. If it were me, I would try to get UPS to replace it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmscoach View Post
    My 2 cents worth, looks like it was dropped and from maybe an 18 wheeler. If it were me, I would try to get UPS to replace it.
    UPS encourages sellers to make the claim. I'm trying to lean on Shaver. It's taking me all my effort not to call them back again today but I'll at least give them a night to think about it

14. Member
    Bubble wrap!!! Skip the box and stryofoam... Wrap it in a few layers of bubblewrap, stick a label on it and ship it. ups just gonna say poorly packaged. Shipped gonna blame ups. Yuck.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

15. Member
    Shaver Marine contacted me and I'm optimistic we'll sort something out.

There seemed to have been miscommunication on the shipping. I thought he recommended not freight. He thought I didn't want freight. Regardless, he agrees he probably shouldn't have sent it out non freight anyways, it was his call.

We're going to wait to see what my local dealer says. If the my local dealer says it checks out we'll negotiate a partial refund. If the local dealer says it's toast, he'll give me a full refund.

My only concern is what a poster above brought up. What if I'm running one day and it craps out because of unseen damage. Doesn't seem likely but I'll have to mention it while negotiating a refund.

16. Member
    Sounds like you are on the right track. If it was me in this situation I would be nervous about closing this deal without know whether or not a gear might have been chipped. How will you know. run it for a trip or 30 and it craps out, OR you could have the tech open it up and make sure no gears are chipped. I mean if it was dropped in a freefall from whatever height , how do you know nothing was chipped on the inside. I know you can rotate and reverse rotate it by hand but I'm not an expert and I don't know if a chipped gear would show itself by rotating it at slow speeds. Your call . At the very least I would keep the situation open and unresolved until you have made several runs of several miles at WOT to see if anything show up , if you are not going to open it up to visually inspect. If you do open it up for a visual and nothing is wrong then you will probably at the minimum have to replace whatever seals and gear oil. By doing this you will know for sure there is no gremlin lurking in there to show itself after it's too late.

I would either open it up for a visual or make multiple runs at WOT for good distances before closing this claim. If you explain the possibility of a chipped gear from the shipping impact to you selling dealer he may somewhat open to your request to open it up or at the very least making some runs with it before closing the claim. If you open it up and find something wrong then you can process accordingly with the dealer. If nothing is wrong you may have to be willing to weigh the expense of opening it up along with the known cosmetic damage and the process accordingly.

The problem is the case sustained enough damage that ignoring potential internal damage could come back and bite you. Sounds like the dealer is trying to be legit but let him know you also have to cover your own rear also. It's a two way street. You didn't get what you paid for and I wouldn't be satisfied with that particular piece of equipment by looking at it from the outside.

Simply draining the gear oil could possibly show any broken chips of metal but would not mean that you don't need to open it up for a better look.
    GETFISHED !!!

17. Banned
    Agre with the way it was packaged for shipment. Should have been in a box which should have been in side a wooden box with a protection layer of styrofoam. I would have never accepted it either.

18. Member
    As with most things in life, "the last one to touch it, owns it".

Next time you have a doubt about something, just repeat that phrase and act accordingly.

Lesson learned, do what you feel you need to (return or keep) and then move on.

Don't beat yourself up.

We all "step in it" onetime or another.

Good luck

19. Member
    Lesson learned about accepting crap packages.

And that's a great point about a possibly chipped gear. I just emailed my dealer asking for their opinion. At the very least, any additional costs of inspection I should be able to get it back from the original shipper. I will definitely have to talk to him about possible unseen damage that could bite me in the ass.

The best solution IMO is to have the seller send you a new one properly packed along with a return shipping label. Pack the damaged lower in the new shipping package, apply the prepaid label and ship it back.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast