Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    As far as the lower unit damage, is it accurate to say it's mostly cosmetic? Truth be told, running in our rivers it would look like that after a couple months anyway

2. Member
    The company I work for we do a lot of shipping that is what we do. Now I am not sure about personal ups packages but I don't think you can refuse a package from UPS. Now that UPS marked is good call the dealer and tell them they should make some kind of adjustment or be able to return it. If you can touch it up and live with the marks have them adjust the price, if not return. Now if you accept it and if it is bent then with UPS marking the box was damaged then then can file a claim and you can get a better product from them. With all that said by all means yes contact them and let them know right away for sure.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinybass View Post
    The company I work for we do a lot of shipping that is what we do. Now I am not sure about personal ups packages but I don't think you can refuse a package from UPS. Now that UPS marked is good call the dealer and tell them they should make some kind of adjustment or be able to return it. If you can touch it up and live with the marks have them adjust the price, if not return. Now if you accept it and if it is bent then with UPS marking the box was damaged then then can file a claim and you can get a better product from them. With all that said by all means yes contact them and let them know right away for sure.
    Hey thanks for the reply. I wondered too if I could've just refused it right then and there. I have a picture of a text from the UPS clerk (who was admittedly a nice gal) confirming the box was damaged for my tracking number. I also called Shaver Marine and they were sympathetic and said I paid for a new lower unit and have a right to be angry. I sent them an email, and hopefully I can receive some sort of compensation. This is where it gets hazy, should they send me compensation before or after they settle their claim? I'm hoping before....I already paid after all.....

4. Member
    I would have not accepted it from UPS. They damaged it they can ship it back.

5. Banned
    Shipper is responsible for making UPS claims.
    Good luck. If not insured, shipper gets $100
    If insured, they will deny and say it wasn't packed according to their policy (2 inches of packing material around everything)
    The dealer won't want it back. you'll never be able to pack it correctly to return it without incuring more damage.
    Your best hope is a price adjustment from the dealer
    Or, if you cant live with the blemishes, list it for sale with full disclosure, at a good discount for somebody who can live with the blemishes.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Almag6 View Post
    Shipper is responsible for making UPS claims.
    Good luck. If not insured, shipper gets $100
    If insured, they will deny and say it wasn't packed according to their policy (2 inches of packing material around everything)
    The dealer won't want it back. you'll never be able to pack it correctly to return it without incuring more damage.
    Your best hope is a price adjustment from the dealer
    Or, if you cant live with the blemishes, list it for sale with full disclosure, at a good discount for somebody who can live with the blemishes.
    Appreciate the answer, I can live with the blemishes as long as the damn thing works. I can live with the blemishes better if I get some money back for it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Yeah, I have to ask why you would take delivery of it, when it looked that bad?
    This.. Not sure of the circumstances but I would have rejected the package altogether. Call the dealer work it out on that end. Let them deal with UPS.

8. Member
    he accepted because he waited a long time and wants to go fishing. Negotiate a rebate from the company and go fishing

my lower unit looks worse
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    This.. Not sure of the circumstances but I would have rejected the package altogether. Call the dealer work it out on that end. Let them deal with UPS.
    Didn't even think to refuse it. Thought I had to take it. Just bad decisions by me, I'll admit it. Hopefully it'll still work out.

10. Member
    With the acknowledgement by UPS as to the damage to box in writing, I would return it to the shipping center and let them return it.

Have the dealer send you a new one and work out shipping issues with UPS.

Good luck

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Flop Fisher View Post
    he accepted because he waited a long time and wants to go fishing. Negotiate a rebate from the company and go fishing

my lower unit looks worse

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    I never would've taken possession of it.
    This

13. Member
    As for receiving the unit---coulda, woulda, shoulda won't matter. I would bite my tongue and maintain a channel of communication with dealer and UPS. Can't get a issue resolved by being angry and having a bad attitude.

Continue to follow up with dealer. They may offer some info on how to tell if the prop shaft was damaged.

I'd try to work with UPS customer service, this is where not getting angry is important. You might also contact the manufacturer and inform them of your situation. This likely was drop shipped from manufacturer and maybe they cam help.

Keep communicating with all concerned until a suitable solution can be reached. This may take time so being patient is important.

If you can determine that it's only cosmetic I'd run it and keep insurance up to date.

I wish you a quick and acceptable solution to your problem. This too shall pass.

These are just my thoughts as I have no real first hand experience to share with you.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

14. Member
    The shipper may have insured it

15. Member
    I ordered a dobyns 734C rob from TW and now UPS has lost the package. How in the world can you lose a freaking 8 foot long package? UPS site originally said Jan 11 delivery date but now UPS is telling me to file a claim. Ugh

16. Member
    Work it out with the seller to either give you a partial refund for the cosmetic damage, that is if the unit checks out at your local dealer, pressure test and check the gears and spindle for straightness, or you want to return it. It is on the seller/shipper to file a claim with UPS for damages, not the receiver of the package. Seller should make it right in some way so you are both satisfied.

17. Member
    I would want a replacement. use the replacements box for return .
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    Mercury 250 Proxs 4 stroke

18. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by twofin View Post
    I would want a replacement. use the replacements box for return .
    This what they should do, no questions asked. Your taking a chance on running it not knowing if a shaft is bent and costing you more money for the repair.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply. I wondered too if I could've just refused it right then and there. I have a picture of a text from the UPS clerk (who was admittedly a nice gal) confirming the box was damaged for my tracking number. I also called Shaver Marine and they were sympathetic and said I paid for a new lower unit and have a right to be angry. I sent them an email, and hopefully I can receive some sort of compensation. This is where it gets hazy, should they send me compensation before or after they settle their claim? I'm hoping before....I already paid after all.....
    It could be awhile for them to get the claim resolved. If they are will to send you a new lower unit and you can wait to get it then do it that way. It you can live with the marks then let them pay you for that. This will all depend on weather the shaft isn't bent yet to boot. I would figure out which way you want it handled first. If you have to send this back it will still need packed better than the way they sent it to you, but don't pay the shipping back to them unless they will reimburse you for the charges. The can send you a return label. Now also with that being said I hit a tree one time with my lower unit and I dump the oil when I hit it. It shut the motor off and it restarted with no problem at all. When I changed the oil that winter I had no oil in it and it was all water. I broke the plate behind the prop and had no clue, so that is something to look for also. Good luck keep us posted.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

I would imagine if the buyer picked it up in the condition it was in, it's his problem because he now assumes the responsibility. I know this is like beating a dead horse, he shouldn't have accepted it as it arrived. At that time it should have been addressed with the shipper....hopefully it will be ok. I'd take it to a shop near by to have it checked out. Just my $.02
    "Show me the water, I will fish."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast