2007 Optimax used with 260 hours

I am looking at a 2008 Triton 18x2 with a 2007 (stamp on engine) 150hp optimax with 260 hours on it. I had the dealer go through and inspect the engine and print the guardian codes that came up. Compression was between 87 and 93 on all cylinders, run time in the 0 to 750 rpm range was 102 hours, 750 to 1500 was 30 hours and incremental up to 4500 to 5000 rpm in the 15 hour range. I removed the belt on the air pulley and did the wiggle test to see if the pulley had any play and there was none. the starboard oil pump had a small leak so they replaced it along with a new water pump and impeller. at about 220 hours there was a code for over rev in nuetral to about 5000 rpms, also had an overheat both sides to about 210 degrees at 245 hours. had a low voltage code showing 7.5 volts at about 245 hours. The boat has 3 accessory batteries and one crank battery (all with stamp of 6/20) Gonna test ride today to verify it doesnt overheat, runs good and go through all ranges of RPMs/ start stops/ on off's. I have read the 2007 150hp optimax's do not have the problems as the earlier 2000's did. The air compressor is the all silver one without any black paint on it. Motor looks clean inside and well taken care of. Is there anything I am missing on my check out of the motor. Trim works great. thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See if you can get and provide the engine serial number.

I would be quite concerned with the compression readings you were provided... and 210 degrees is pretty hot for an o-ring head engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Did I read in another post it should be in the 110 to 115 range? Ill have them recheck it.

4. Member
    Serial number is 1B532928 and I verified with the Merc Mechanic the compression test was performed cold and at WOT. He said the balance of the numbers was normal and for a cold engine that is not uncommon due to cylinder and ring expansion when warmed up. He performed the compression check when the owner who traded the boat for a larger boat showed up for the deal to go through and also performed error code readouts and provided them to me.

5. Member
    87-93 when warmed up prolly will be fine
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weiss Lake Alabama View Post
    Serial number is 1B532928 and I verified with the Merc Mechanic the compression test was performed cold and at WOT. He said the balance of the numbers was normal and for a cold engine that is not uncommon due to cylinder and ring expansion when warmed up. He performed the compression check when the owner who traded the boat for a larger boat showed up for the deal to go through and also performed error code readouts and provided them to me.

You may consider listening to the unbiased man with unquestionable knowledge over the man with incentive to make a profit.

7. Member
    thanks for the response. test run on lake Monday or Tuesday will tell me alot. plus Ill test compression after warm up and running it.

8. Member
    Completely Agree with listening to the unbiased man with unquestionable knowledge and respect his advice. That's why I'm on this forum, he provides valuable insight and advice. However, the mechanic I am using is a personal friend for a long time and has performed lots of work on my other boats. He has steered me away from "bad boats" and provided valuable guidance on the boats I own. The other mechanic I talked to and performed the compression and provided me with all the Guardian data, works for my friend for the past 15 years and has no financial interest in whether I buy this boat or not. We all reviewed and they personally went over the engine with me in the shop for over 2 hours (no cost involved) they showed me everthing they replaced (oils, water pump, Oil pump due to small leak, engine oil reserve tank, ensured gauges were accurate, etc). They also demonstrated the air compressor functionality and provided blown examples of failed air compressors. Thanks for your reply though.

9. Member
    final update on my new to me boat and motor after test run,1B532928. Took triton 18x2 with 150hp optimax out on lake for 1 1/2 hours, Started it and verified gauges at idle, rpms 700 +/-, psi at 3, volts at 13.8. slowly opened up and got on plane, ran at full throttle for a few minutes rpms 5300+/-, psi at full throttle about 16 or 17, and voltage increased to 14V, went through many operating ranges, shut downs, etc over the next hour or so. cooling water stream always solid after new water pump assembly, no alarms ect. took out and with my compression gauge got readings ranging from 115 to 117 in each cylinder warmed up, WOT, plugs removed, kill switch removed. Since I didn't know what gas or treatments were in the fuel prior to test run, i followed Mr. Don's mix of quickleen and fuel stabilizer mentioned in another post. Since all checked out with what I have read on this site (trust mechanic but verify here) i went ahead with the purchase. Love this forum.

10. Member
    came on up didnt they-115-117
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor