Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yeah, if they find something else that needs fixin', they have to call you and get your ok to do it. If you can get the truck back for $500 (plus sales tax?), do it. Otherwise, put it on a card and start the process with BBB, Consumer Protection Agency, Social Media, etc. You might even find a lawyer that will start a class action lawsuit. Don't take that crap without a fight, because they'll just keep doing "it" to others. "It" should always be consensual.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Jesus the judgement of some of you of other people. While that may be the case for you, someone else may not have the time or even the physical ability or skill set to do it. Glad you can but not really your place to tell the man how to spend his money.
    TNT, I rarely agree with you, but you nailed it with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    You lost me when you said someone else changed your oil and suggested you need brakes.

Both are simple jobs I'd never pay anyone to do.
    I do my own brain surgery. Damn neuro surgeon charges too much. My last surgery cost next to nothing doing it myself...... at least I think it did.......don't remember.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

4. Member
    I haven't changed my own oil in almost 40 years.
    can
    Od935509

I know two people who had their oil drained and new filter installed at the dealerships (VW & Chevy). Apparently, putting the new oil in was the owner's job? A friend of my brother's had the oil changed at a Speedi-Lube and they shorted him more than two quarts of oil. Do it yourself OR check the oil before leaving their establishment.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgs View Post
    I haven't changed my own oil in almost 40 years.
    Last time I changed mine, whick will be the very last time I saved a whopping $10.00. At 62 YO and can't crawl under them like I used to, I won't be doing it anymore.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

7. Fishing is a Passion
    Pay with a credit card and then dispute the charge.

I would have obtained a copy of the estimate before any work was done.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    You lost me when you said someone else changed your oil and suggested you need brakes.

Both are simple jobs I'd never pay anyone to do.
    I used to do those jobs myself. But, if you buy a new truck you can not change your own oil. It will void the warranty. It has to be done by an ASC certified mechanic. You must keep all receipts to prove the work was done.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

I change my own oil because it's easier to do it myself than schedule it at a shop.
    Wishing I was Fishing

10. Member
    Tell them to put your old front brakes back on and take $500 off the price.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletTJ View Post
    I used to do those jobs myself. But, if you buy a new truck you can not change your own oil. It will void the warranty. It has to be done by an ASC certified mechanic. You must keep all receipts to prove the work was done.
    you don’t believe this do you? I assure you most oil changers at the dealers aren’t ASC techs

ASE
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by BulletTJ View Post
    They saw you coming.

I’ll be 70, I still change my own oil. I use AMSOIL, it is a once a year oil change for each vehicle. This is the reason I have a heated/ AC shop, so I can use it. For years we have owned white vehicles, 2005 we bought a new Buick, Had to take it back to the dealer for something. Picked it up and both front fenders were covered in greasy handprints. Pointed it out to the service manager he said he would have it washed, I told him to go get the guy that worked on it and have him wipe it down. The service manager wiped it down. Last time they ever saw that car and the last vehicle I bought from them.
    I have always serviced my own vehicles, I don’t see that changing.

Well this thread certainly went off track from the OP.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    Well this thread certainly went off track from the OP.

Not really, he took it to a shop and got what a lot of others have complained about—- being bent over.

Still on track

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Not really, he took it to a shop and got what a lot of others have complained about—- being bent over.

Still on track
    No, it's now mostly about folks arguing about changing their own oil or not.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

17. Banned
    You can buy the 6 quart full synthetic(5w-30) Havoline and the oil filter for my truck at Walmart for less than $25 total. Takes less than 10 minutes to change. Only 66 and change myself. Gives me something to do other than fish.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    No, it's now mostly about folks arguing about changing their own oil or not.

Next time I do a brake job I’ll dig this thread up and get it going again.

19. Banned
    If you have a friend who works at one of the local auto parts store ask him to get you all the parts and do it your self. Might be surprised at what they can get it for.

20. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Oil and Filter Change, Tire Rotation and Pressure Check, Brake Inspection, Vehicle Checkup, Fluid Top-Off, Battery Test, Filter Check, Belts and Hoses Check, Brakes Check.
    Less than 50 bucks at the dealer in about 30 minutes,,,,,,,,, i aint getting under it.........

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast