Changing hooks on topwater baits?

Before last year the only topwater fishing I ever did was a frog and a whopper plopper. This year I really want to get in to throwing more walking spook style baits. Ive been buying strike king sexy dawgs because they are relatively cheaper and I fish the Mississippi River where there are lots of teeth. I just want to know what hooks do you guys prefer on topwater walking baits if you do ever change them out. I really like the 1x strong KVD triple grips on most of my hard baits but I am not sure if a short shank EWG style treble would be the best option for a walking bait. Or maybe it is I dont know. Let me know what you guys like. Thanks!

2. Member
    I went to the KVD's in 2020 from VMC round bends. Not sure why. I liked the VMC's. Just trying something new.

No issues. Not sure any better, but certainly no worse.

Spook, Pop-R, Plopper, Kelly J.

In my experience it’s a good option if they’re getting the bait well as those short shank EWGs will keep them pinned really good, but the problem is you’re not likely to hook many fish that “slap” at it.

I’d suggest Owner ST-36s and think that’s probably just about your best option for cost and performance. Or if you want to drop some coin, Gamakatsu G-Finesse Trebles would be just about the stickiest option out there. You’d likely want the MH version so you’re not worrying about bending them out on big smallmouth on “normal” sized baits. For small walking baits or poppers the regular ones would be fine.

I actually keep walking baits with short shanks and round bends and will pick which ones to throw on a given day based on how the fish are biting.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    I used the st 36 hooks for everything. I also liked to replace the split rings with the larger ones found on rapala baits. I pretty much throw 2 baits, zara spook, Sammy 115. If you run into any schooling bass, try a st 36 feathered hook on the back of the bait.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

I prefer Round Bend Gammies on my Topwater. Or Trokars
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

Something I've been doing the last few years after reading some "Pro's secret" articles---- using the short shank KVD hooks on walking baits and adding a second split ring. According to some this reduces the leverage a fish can get to throw a hook. Another trick but a PIA to do is remove the split ring and tie the hooks on with a double loop made with a heavy braid. I've about convinced my self it works. have also been doing it on some of my favorite lipless baits that tend to get thrown easily.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    In my experience it’s a good option if they’re getting the bait well as those short shank EWGs will keep them pinned really good, but the problem is you’re not likely to hook many fish that “slap” at it.

I’d suggest Owner ST-36s and think that’s probably just about your best option for cost and performance. Or if you want to drop some coin, Gamakatsu G-Finesse Trebles would be just about the stickiest option out there. You’d likely want the MH version so you’re not worrying about bending them out on big smallmouth on “normal” sized baits. For small walking baits or poppers the regular ones would be fine.

I actually keep walking baits with short shanks and round bends and will pick which ones to throw on a given day based on how the fish are biting.
    This, round bend, fir the Slappers, but also when fighting tge second hook more likely to stick in the side.

8. Member
    Daiichi Deathtraps are a good option for thin wire round bends that are cheaper than Owners or Gammy. That’s what I use and don’t have a problem.