Livescope box wiring

When running 10 or 8 gauge wire to the box, do you just cut the existing power cord behind the plug and splice in or is there a way to tie it in directly to the plug

2. Member
    Splice

My interpretation of the instructions was if I had to run 8-10ga from the battery I was to shorten the power wire to 2' I did this and have had terrific results.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    My interpretation of the instructions was if I had to run 8-10ga from the battery I was to shorten the power wire to 2' I did this and have had terrific results.
    ^this

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Do you know what the gauge of the garmin black box power cable wire is? I am planning my livescope install now, and will be running a pretty long power cable from the battery to the black box. Garmin manual recommends 8 awg wire for the length of extension I will need. I am trying to plan how to connect the 8 gauge wire to the factory power cord. I assume the factory power cord is probably 18 gauge. How did you connect the 8 or 10 gauge to the thinner 18 gauge of the Garmin power cable?

6. Member
    18 probably right
    Small Terminal block

terminal.jpg Install something like this, and run 8ga wire to it on both the positive and negative terminals. You will need wire terminals for each end. Also install a disconnect switch back by the batteries so you can cut all power to the block (maybe you have one installed in the bilge already). And install an inline fuse near the battery to protect the circuit from catching fire if you even have a short somewhere. Then shorten your black box wire so you just have enough to connect to the block. Install the correct rated fuse.
    Last edited by KCLOST; 02-17-2021 at 02:54 PM.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team