Thread: Fiberglass Care

Fiberglass Care

Just got into my first ranger boat and thus my first fiberglass boat, coming from running tin for a few years. My boat is mostly black with some white. What are some good tips about keeping it clean? Are there some good sprays you may use after using it? Is a typical wipe down enough after each use etc. I appreciate the help, glad to be in the Ranger family.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Welcome to the family and forum. A good place to start is with a top-quality fiberglass cleaner and gel coat protection coat. A company called Pro Tec sells a line of products that come highly recommended. Whether you use the entire “kit” or just the polish/sealant is up to you, according to how often you clean the boat. The majority of Ranger owners, from what I gather, use a sealant or wax once or twice a year, and a spray-on cleaner/polish in between [some as often as every time on the water]. Good spray products include Eagle Wax-as-u-Dry, Lucas Slick Mist, Bass Boat Saver, etc. With any dark finish, like black, you’ll want to pay particular attention to water spots that develop from spray getting baked on during hot days. If you let water spots get set over a period of time, they can be a pain to remove. Good luck and enjoy.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Moderator
    John gave you some great advice above. I like wax as you dry, slick mist too but I'll add boat blings hot sauce on my engine and windshields. It does a great job on the darker areas at getting water spots wiped clean. My boat is a 2012 and with the stuff John and I have mentioned and using it every time my boat comes out of the water, it literally looks brand new.