Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    Didn't shimano build the old BB1 for lews?
    They did in the very beginning of Lew's reels. I have one of the original Lew's built by Shimano that I bought around 1976 or so.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    Don’t buy anything yet there’s a big announcement coming just go to the rod and reel forum.

Like my Shimano's.

4. Member
    I haven't tried the SLX but it seems to have tons of positive reviews. I've never owned a reel that wasn't a Shimano, well I did have an old Abu Ambassador.

5. Member
    Huge fan of the SLX XT and switched over from a long time Abu STX user. Couldn't be happier with their performance.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

6. Member
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the casting distance you get with the Digital Control! You can sling a crank bait a country mile with those things!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the casting distance you get with the Digital Control! You can sling a crank bait a country mile with those things!
    that is true. I have it on my heavy jig rod and can absolutely bomb it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    The DC system is for braking purposes and to help prevent backlash and would not help increase distance over any other reel. It might help maximize the performance of a reel in different conditions or line types, but it doesn't inherently cast further.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    that is true. I have it on my heavy jig rod and can absolutely bomb it.
    Why would you need a DC reel for a heavy jig?

10. Banned
    I love Shimano reels, but my SLX DC reminds me of and old 3600c..zzzzzzzzggggggguuuu.
    I tell people "I paid extra for that".
    I feel like it's always a half a click off, up or down. I don't have many hours on it so maybe I'll get better or it will loosen up, so to speak.
    They should add a USB port or Bluetooth so we can update them and tweak the settings.

11. Member
    ive got top line shimano and daiwa; my favorite reel for the past year is the lews hypermag-- dang fine reel

Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    SLX is a nice reel, but the Lews BB is a casting machine, and hold more line. I dont know one person personally that dont like the Lews BB reels./
    I like both of mine........I have one for crankin and one for pitching......both have been solid and cast a mile and are smooth.....Just was interested in these Shimano SLX reels.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    I like both of mine........I have one for crankin and one for pitching......both have been solid and cast a mile and are smooth.....Just was interested in these Shimano SLX reels.
    Its a low end reel, honestly. The internals are IMO no better than a $99 Lews. Ive been inside just about every reel on the market, and I would personally take the BB over the SLX if this helps any.

14. Member
    I was 100% Shimano from 1985 to 2008. In 2008 I started to see issues with the new Shimano's I bought and found that I really had to spend top $$$$ to get into the reels that performed and would last even a season before little things would happen. I stayed with them for about 5 years but started to buy Revo's and lews mainly because of price /performance. The lews held up and are still going strong. I have a few older Shimano's left but all new reels are lews for baitcasting and I'm still deciding on spinning.

15. Member
    Lews makes a solid reel but I have fallen in love with the Shimano DC reels. The Curado DC is way better then my Tatulas, BB1's, Quantum Exos.

16. Member
    Used to be a big fan of Lews but only one reel lasted over 4 years without issue. Most of them had drag issues or became sloppy after a season or two. I only fish around 18times a year (2-3times a month from April until October ice) so it’s not like they get used a lot. I also strip my reels down and clean them every spring. My shimano Curado is over 10yrs old and it’s been flawless. I probably won’t buy another Lews, just get another shimano. I learned my lesson.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 01-13-2021 at 03:18 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Over the past 4 years I've accumilated over 20 Lews.....cheaper and higher end are all working great and I have done no maintenance to any of them. Bait casting and spinning.....

18. Member
    That shouldn't even be a question, Shimano all the way.

19. Member
    I just bought a Daiwa Zillion SV TW and I now want to sell all my Lew’s and Shimano’s. Which is about 20 reels over $250. I had no idea what I was missing.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    Shimano and Daiwa for me. The rest are all the same
    Too many people do not realize this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast