Hummingbird Helix 7 MDI G3N connected to Ultrex MDI ... Black screen on MDI

I recently purchased a Nitro Z18 Pro which came with The Ultrex TM with built in MDI, HB Helix 7 MDI G3N on the bow, HB Helix 7 MSI on the console, and they are all on the one boat network via ethernet hub. The console unit has a y-cable with the XNT 9 HW MSI 150T for reading off plain DI/SI, and a XP 9 HW inside the bilge for on plane 2D sonar. The 2D reads but only when sensitivity is turned all the way up. It looses bottom as soon as the boat starts moving. I suspect that is a bad puck install, air bubbles, or a bad TD. My bigger issue is I cannot get the DI to work on the bow unit. I see nothing but a black screen. Below is what I have done so far to get to the bottom of these issues.

I reset to factory settings and updated to the latest firmware and still having issues. I changed out the Y-cable on the console since I had an extra and this did not solve the issue. SI/DI work well off plane as expected, but no reliable 2D even while not on plane. I took the Y-cable off and checked the transom TD and everything works including the 2D on the transom mounted TD when it is connected to the Helix without the Y-cable. I suspect either the XP 9 HW is bad or improperly mounted. I think I can rectify this issue easily enough by either installing a new puck, or mounting another TD for on plane sonar lower on the transom.

My bigger issue is the bow mounted Helix 7 MDI G3N attached to the Ultrex MDI with I-Link. All cables verified secure and firmware updates were done. I get 2D, but nothing but a black screen on DI. I reset to factory defaults while on the water several times and verified I had the correct transducer selected to no avail, assuming the correct transducer to select is "Built in HW: MDI+". I can see the console SI/DI on the bow unit when I select the console source Helix in Network settings via ethernet, but no Ultrex DI, just 2D. The Ultrex definitely is the MDI version. Am I missing something? I am getting ready to process a warrantee claim, but wanted to exhaust all efforts before I go that route.

I am wondering if I have the correct transducer selected. I updated my software to ensure I was not missing anything in the transducer selection list and have tried just about all of them to see if I could get anything other than a black screen. My new 2020 Nitro Z18 Pro is a little bit of a mystery. I bought it at Bass Pro in Orlando and the sales tag showed only the tandem trailer upgrade. I ended up with a Ultrex with MDI instead of the Ultrex US2 that came with all the 2020 Z18 Pros that year and a few other things like the thru hull puck on the console unit.

I suspect it was a boat someone ordered and never completed the purchase, or they just missed it. I even brought it up to the salesman who sold me the boat, and he just said Merry Christmas. Anyway, I did make sure I had the correct transducer installed. On mine it is “Built in HW : MDI+” according to the posts I have read, but I maybe that's the wrong one?. One more thing I need to check is to make sure I have the correct adapter cable going from the 9 pin on the Ultrex to the Helix 7 MDI G3N on the bow. HB says I should have the MKR-MDI-2 for the Helix 7, what would happen if I discover they used the MKR-MDI-1 instead? There are two different PN where both will connect but may be pinned differently for the Helix 7 vs the Helix 8 and larger. Not sure if that makes a difference but worth checking out since all I have to do is remove the panel ... for the tenth time .
    BTW ... in the heat of frustration, I think I tried almost every transducer in the list to see if I could get anything to show up in the DI screen to no avail. i do see something while in the garage, but nothing but black when TD get wet on the water.
    Sorry for the long dissertation describing the problem. I am an electrical engineer, so I get a little wordy at times while trying to be thorough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    The MKR-MDI-2 needs to be used for the Helix 7.
    I would check that first.

If the built in transducer is a MDI+ and the helix 7 is only the MDI then maybe that’s the issue.
    Sounds like you might need to purchase a unit with MDI+ to work with that built in transducer.

4. Member
    I went by the dealer today and it appears they installed the wrong adapter cable going from the Helix 7 to the Ultrex MDI transducer. Minn Kota has a compatibility guide that indicates that all Helix head units except the Helix 7 require the MKR-MDI-1 adapter. The Helix 7 requires the MKR-MDI-2, which apparently has a different pin configuration. The part number on the adapter cable that came with my boat is 490506-1(B), which according to another post in this forum (http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....90506-1%28B%29) is for the Helix units 8 and up. I ordered the MKR-MDI-2 from Amazon and the dealer agreed to reimburse by expense of $30 since it would take Bass Pro Shop 3 months to get a replacement. I will update the post if this resolves the problem. BTW ... I really do like the Hummingbird products and features, but this has been frustrating since I cannot find any reference of 490506-1(B) anywhere on the HB or MK website. That clearly is their PN but no cross reference data available to indicate it is for the -1 or the -2. I never had these types of issues with Lowrance Carbons I had on my last boat.

5. Member
    Last follow up ... This issue is now closed. The manufacturer (Tracker Marine) kitted the wrong adapter cable for my Z18 Pro at the factory. They installed an MKR-MDI-1 adapter cable to connect the Ultrex to my bow Helix 7 MDI G3N when they should have had the MKR-MDI-2. I ordered and installed the MKR-MDI-2 and that fixed the issue. Thanks for all your help on this matter.