What scope would you choose?

Picked up a Weatherby 300 WBY Mag at a good price with 1 inch rings and am hoping to add a scope. Mainly for Elk Hunting

Here are 2 choices that I have in my range. The Athlon is about $100 more. I have some Diamondbacks and I know they are good scopes but have no experience with Athlon. Any advice is appreciated

1. Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40

2. Athlon Optics Talos BTR 4-14x44

2. Banned
    Wife removed the Weaver scope that came with her Savage 6.5 Creedmoor,with the Vortex 4-12x40 looks good compared to the Weaver...Have no idea about the other you are looking at.

I myself like Leupold take a look at them.Made in USA.

3. Member
    I have a Vortex Diamondback 4x16 side focus on my 6.5 Creedmoor and think it is a very good scope for the money. Not a Leupold but cost less if compared to the better Leupold models.

I have no idea experience with an Athlon so cannot make a comparison.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Another vote for Leupold , I have 4 of them. Never tried a Vortex scope but if they are anything like thier binoculars which I do own are incredable for the money.
    Proud Army Dad

Everything I own is Nikon and have never had an issue with scopes, rangefinder, or binoculars. As Nikon is now out of the scope business, I will be going Leupold from here on. I’m getting set to buy a VX5 HD for my new Browning. I’ve wanted to like the Vortex but I just don’t think they’re on par with the Leupold in comparable models and price ranges. The new VX3 HD will be available soon if you’re interested in a 40mm scope. You can see them on the Midway USA website now but you can’t purchase them yet.

6. Member
    Sightrons are very good.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

7. Member
    Zeiss Conquest from Camera Land, NY. best prices I have found. Usually have some special deals or open box from shows.

8. Member
    Dont know much about Athlon, but do own a few Vortex's. For the price point, they're a good scope.

9. Member
    Vortex, some of the scopes I have had over the years with the external wind/elevation adjusters like the Athlon get moved and you never know until you pull the trigger. In most "game" hunting scenarios you wont have time to sniper in a shot.

Vortex closed caps, set and forget it

I am becoming a fan of vortex, plus through learning of what and how optics work is super fun. this has been done through their podcast/YouTube/Facebook pages.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    It appears the Athlon has a 30mm tube so you would need rings also if you go that route.

I bought a Vortex and have been impressed so far.

I have several Vortex from crossfires to viper. I had to send a diamondback 4x12 in for repair, it would not hold zero. I've yet to mount it back and try it out. Vortex was very fast in repair and return. The damn thing has cost me 2 coyotes and I'll always have a little bit of question as to if it will perform when I pull the trigger.

If you’re looking to buy a higher end optic, give this a text with the SKU and model of scope you’re looking for. The more expensive the optic, the more you’ll save. I ordered a Leupold VX5 HD with the fire Dot reticle from him Sunday and it’s set to be delivered tomorrow. NO ONE could beat his price and he’s legit.

http://www.predatoroptics.com/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    Zeiss Conquest from Camera Land, NY. best prices I have found. Usually have some special deals or open box from shows.
    I buy all my scopes from Camera Land NY. Make sure you call them to order. You will get an awesome deal.

Look into the Swarovski Z3 series and Meopta Meopro series. Incredible scopes for the money. I have sold all my Leupolds and replaced them with those two.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 01-20-2021 at 11:06 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

16. Banned
    Got rid of all my Leupolds and Nikons back in the late 90's & early 2000. Went totally with Zeiss with the exception of one Swarovski 3x12x56. Bought a case of Zeiss 3x12x56 scopes at a after season deer show for $600 a pop out the door. One of the best deals i have ever got.