Thread: Xpress X19 Pro

Mike Lamb

Xpress X19 Pro

Currently I am in 518C Ranger. I have been thinking of moving to metal boat (now they are bigger with more HP). My questions is on this model are.

1. What does the compartments look like? Webpage does not show much.
    2. Can you get Mercury motor on them?
    3. What is the speed. I am not a speed demon (notice I am in a Ranger). But want to have idea.
    4. How is the flotation. Everyone knows you can pull plug on ranger and you will not sink. is this boat set up the same way?
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

1. Mine are very large carpeted spaces that you could hide bodies in which causes me to keep too much gear in the boat. The center came with a rod organizer that I took out. I know they offer rod racks for the side lockers too. I can fit 8'6" rods in the port and starboard boxes.
    2. I have seen a few dealers offer engines other than Yamaha but why? see #3
    3. I have been to 74 mph on the gps and it is not that hard to drive at full tilt. If I keep it in the upper 60s its like driving a rocket sled on rails. Handles big water with ease.
    4. I believe that the Coast Guard requires "upright and level floatation" for all boats under 26 feet. I may be wrong about the length. These boats have plenty of foam and it may sink to the gunnels but it should preform to USCG standards.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

3. Member
    I am thinking of moving to an xpress also. Currently in a triton 20x2 my biggest question is the weight of the boat in windy conditions. Since it is aluminum does the wind blow it around more than a glass boat? Im waiting on my catalog to show up so I can see more than what's on the site.

4. Member
    Don’t own one but have rode in a x19 and a x21, really nice riding boats and fast! But just a warning, your compartments will get water in them!
    Pool 10

5. Member
    1. Both side compartments open to the front,
    2. Depends on who sets up the boat, our x21 had a merc on it.
    3. Well, that depends on how good a hull you get. A nice straight one will get you in the upper 60s with a decent load. You get a rough on and you will be upper 50s lower 60s with a 200. Set up is key with these hulls.
    4. Can't say, but there is alot of foam in these things.
    CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bry123 View Post
    I am thinking of moving to an xpress also. Currently in a triton 20x2 my biggest question is the weight of the boat in windy conditions. Since it is aluminum does the wind blow it around more than a glass boat? Im waiting on my catalog to show up so I can see more than what's on the site.
    The front moves around a bit more than a glass boat, more because of how the boat sits nose high in the water. Weight wise there is not alot of difference from a mid weight glass boat. Cj

7. Mike Lamb
    What I was talking about floatation. I can pull my plug and the boat just barely sits lower in the water. the deck at the console doesnt even get wet. I am guessing that is not the case.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    1. Both side compartments open to the front,
    2. Depends on who sets up the boat, our x21 had a merc on it.
    3. Well, that depends on how good a hull you get. A nice straight one will get you in the upper 60s with a decent load. You get a rough on and you will be upper 50s lower 60s with a 200. Set up is key with these hulls.
    4. Can't say, but there is alot of foam in these things.
    CJ
    Hold up? Number 3 you say if you get a straight hull. Explain. There is a story there that I'm very interested in hearing due to me seriously looking at these boats.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet View Post
    Hold up? Number 3 you say if you get a straight hull. Explain. There is a story there that I'm very interested in hearing due to me seriously looking at these boats.
    Not all of them Mine Flys

10. Member
    Xpress has made a lot of improvements in the last few years one being an effort to seal all the compartments. When I went to pick up my 2021 X 18 up in mid Oct. they were spraying it out with a pressure washer to clean the Sea Dek. It was dry in 15 minutes and not water in any compartment. As for flotation a few years back there was a post from someone La., I think, about a dealership that had all boats sunk after a hurricane except the Xpress boats which floated boat and trailer. Lots of X 19 owners around to talk speed but my X 18 with F 150 and power tech prop that came on it has hit 59.7 in a chop, with normal load and a full tank of gas 58.7 anytime. Better prop and I could go over 60.

11. Member
    They are metal, some will be very straight and clean and some will have dips and weld slag, seam irregularities ect. I spent about half a day on mine and picked up a few mph and drivability. The po let the hull ride too far back on the bunks and that put small hooks in it. The pad area is one place glass boats have the advantage unless you work them over to the best performance out of them. Cj

12. Member
    I need to repair my pad. What did you use?
    Last edited by Spikesb1; 01-28-2021 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Answered the question in a search

13. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikesb1 View Post
    I used Bondo with fiberglass strands.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

Xpress has improved their capability of turning out straight hulls to the point I feel like getting a bad one is almost nil. They have even taught their welders how to weld and bought them a grinder or 2. I think the of offerings that have come to the tin market has made Xpress to up their game and it shows, big time. My 2014 is now where near the quality of what is rolling off the line now.

The thing is these boats are metal and metal bends. I had mine in the ocean and was not paying attention and the tides set me down on an oyster bar. I had to get off and push or I would have been there until the tide came back in. Of course the damage was directly on the pad, deep scratches and maybe a hook(dent). I only lost about 2 mph. I plan on doing the bondo treatment this summer.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

15. Member
    You need to repair it or smooth it? To smooth it I use tiger hair [fiberglass with long strands] Then waterproof filler to smooth it. A good quality sealer primer then paint. Good to hear that xpress is getting better with the pad area. My boat had some piss poor welds in it. They are fixed now but if I did not have the ability it would have been expensive. CJ

16. Member
    I need to repair damage to the pad from an encounter with a stump while at idle speed, approximately 1” wide x 1/2” deep x 18”. Thanks for your expertise!

17. Member
    2021 X19, 200 SHO, 12 inch jackplate, 2 8ft PPoles, 4 blade Bravo Prop, 3 series 27 AGMs, Ultrex, 3 graphs, 360, livescope, 20 plus rods, CRAP ton of tackle, 40 lbs of passenger ballast, Full gas and livewell tank, me @ 6ft 200 lbs. I get 69.5 all day on the GPS, over 70 in the right conditions. Mine came with weld beads where the pad meets the transom to help the porpoise issues and that robs a few MPH but helps overall ride. Came standard with sealed (caulked underneath) compartments, compression latches, gas struts, padding where the lids meet the deck, interior lights (including livewell). Xpress listened to the issues from previous years and addressed them all. They can be a chore to set up (motor height and correct prop) but once you figure it out they scream. Only person to ride in the boat and complain about the ride was an older guy (I'm 37) on a long windy run on Toho. He says "This is why I own a Ranger" but was fishing as a non-boater? I will say if you are buying brand new don't let the $49k price fool you. Mine was $60k tax tag and title and I supplied the Ultrex, 360m 10 inch Helix and networking hub/cables. Would have been closer to $65k as setup. PPoles, 12 inch jackplate, high performance prop, Livescope and Graph, networking, install all adds up real quick.

18. Member
    I need to repair damage to the pad from an encounter with a stump while at idle speed, approximately 1” wide x 1/2” deep x 18”. Thanks for your expertise!
    Is it something you can get to from the inside? If so work it our with a hammer the best you can. Now a bunch of little taps work better than 1 hard hit as far as removing dents in metal. I removed both of the hook areas from the bunks on mine to the point you cannot tell they were there with no filler. If you need to fill then post #15. But as you know once it is filled it will damage quicker. CJ

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Is it something you can get to from the inside? If so work it our with a hammer the best you can. Now a bunch of little taps work better than 1 hard hit as far as removing dents in metal. I removed both of the hook areas from the bunks on mine to the point you cannot tell they were there with no filler. If you need to fill then post #15. But as you know once it is filled it will damage quicker. CJ
    The damage stops at the last horizontal rib in front of the transom, so is under the floor area of the fuel tank. Speed and handling were not affected, so I may just live with it.

20. Member
    Speed and handling were not affected, so I may just live with it.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't touch it. That's the nice thing with metal boats, you don't need to repair it like a fiberglass boat. CJ