Trolling Motor wiring question for Champion 203 (delete if not allowed here)

If this is not allowed on the Champion Boat section since it involves a Champion, Delete. I posted in the trolling motor section, but thought I might get a quicker answer from this section.

I just purchased a new to me 36 volt trolling motor changing from a 24v. My plug has 2 positive cables and 1 negative. I have 2 - 40 amp breakers at the batteries. On the breaker panel, it has troll 1 and troll 2. The boat has always had a straight 24 volt motor. I bought 1 60 amp breaker. Do I need to add 2 60 amp breakers to take their place since it has the 2 positive wires? The boat is a 2000 Champion 203 if anyone has ever ran across this.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    No, your boat is wired for 12/24v trolling motor operation. Use one of the positives and the negative to run to the front then jump between the batteries in the back. Run that positive through your 60A breaker if that is what your TM manufacturer recommends.

3. Member
    So I just need to unhook one of the wires and delete a breaker? Thank you!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwheeler1665 View Post
    So I just need to unhook one of the wires and delete a breaker? Thank you!

5. Member
    Ditch the plug and wire it straight to the trolling motor. I've had more plugs go bad than anything. Had a few great tournament days go bad with plugs failing. I'm taking the plug out of my boat first thing this spring. Since your redoing stuff, might wanna replace wiring and jumpers with new heavy gauge wire. 36 volts can be tricky.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

Neat little trick we've always used for trolling motor wiring is to buy a set of twenty-five foot jumper cables with 4 or 6 ga size wire (stranded) and use for trolling motor wiring. Hook it through a minn kota style breaker mounted in the rear compartment. Re use the existing trolling motor wiring, usually 10 ga, for your electronics up front as the newer electronics are power hungry.

7. Member
    I'm not positive, but I think its not a good idea to have your electronic wiring next to your trolling motor wiring. Interference issues?