Trolling Motor Wires (Need help)

I just purchased a new to me 36 volt trolling motor changing from a 24v. My plug has 2 positive cables and 1 negative. I have 2 - 40 amp breakers at the batteries. On the breaker panel, it has troll 1 and troll 2. The boat has always had a straight 24 volt motor. I bought 1 60 amp breaker. Do I need to add 2 60 amp breakers to take their place since it has the 2 positive wires? The boat is a 2000 Champion 203 if anyone has ever ran across this.

It sounds like you have a 12/24 setup. If so one red wire would be hooked the positive terminal of bat 1 and the other to the positive terminal of bat2. Either way you only need one red wire for your new setup and one 60 amp breaker.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Thank you. It makes sense now that it has been explained. Lol

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Yes, your original wiring was for a 12/24v system. You only need to use a Red+ and a Black-. You can remove the Orange or White wire and the 2 40amp beaker from use.

From Battery 1+ to a 60am Breaker in and out to the Pos + to the TM. Then the Neg of Batttery 1 to the Pos of Battery 2, then the Neg of Battery 2 to the Pos of Battery 3, and now the Neg of Battery 3 to the Neg at the TM.

I would also put a Cut-OIf switch either ahead of or after the 60 amp breaker so that you can cut off power when charging the TM Batteries
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents