2000 150 Optimax - LU not reinserted correctly

SN - OT065980 2000 Optimax 150hp

Changed my impeller on my Optimax and am now in a situation where I believe the shift linkage is mixed up. I had thought I had left everything in Neutral when I dropped my LU, however, once I got it back in place, I cannot shift as I was able to before doing any maintenance. I believe my "helper" may have shifted my gearshift and back to neutral while I was lining things back up to reinsert my LU.

Can anyone help guide me to manually manipulating the shifter coming from my LU to line up properly with my shifter either in Neutral or shifting my shifter at the controls?

Thanks!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably best to drop the gearcase, verify it's in Neutral, and then (with engine in neutral) make another install attempt.

You DO need to "steer" the shift shaft (upper) onto the splined shaft in the gearcase while installing the gearcase.

Moving your thread to the 2.5L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you Don,

I apologize, I thought I was posting in the 2.5L forum. Do you have any guide for making sure my LU is in neutral?

Thank you!

4. Member
    propshaft spins freely both ways
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    If your helper shifted to reverse then back to neutral,it wouldn’t matter,the shift shaft would still be in neutral position. If you are trying to shift without the prop turning then it might not shift at all,the prop should be turning unless the engine is running.

6. Banned
    Hopefully you did not break the cup on the shift shaft. Like Don said it needs to be guided in to place. If the cup is broken then the powerhead needs to be pulled in order to replace the shift shaft.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Currently my prop does spin freely.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Hopefully you did not break the cup on the shift shaft. Like Don said it needs to be guided in to place. If the cup is broken then the powerhead needs to be pulled in order to replace the shift shaft.
    I don't believe I did, they were lined up when I put unit back on.

9. Member
    Another thing I noticed - When I use "advance throttle only" I'm able to push the shift forward (with the button pressed) about one inch, it does advance but won't go past that point, before anyone asks, no I've not pushed hard at all against it. Not sure what this could mean if anything at all.

Thanks!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Make sure that you confirm the upper shift shaft is actually indexing to the gearcase shift shaft. Sometimes, if you "ramp" one on top of the other, you may physically force the shift shaft upwards (which can potentially cause problems with the linkage up under the powerhead/intake).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

Make sure that you confirm the upper shift shaft is actually indexing to the gearcase shift shaft. Sometimes, if you "ramp" one on top of the other, you may physically force the shift shaft upwards (which can potentially cause problems with the linkage up under the powerhead/intake).
    Currently I can spin the prop by hand freely with the LU attached on the boat.

12. Member
    put it in F and see if prop locks , rotate prop while shifting
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    put it in F and see if prop locks , rotate prop while shifting
    Thanks Joe, I don't have anyone here to help me spin the prop at this point so I may just hook it up to the muffs and see if I can get it into gear while it idles.

Otherwise I'm not sure how else to check it. I found it strange I couldn't move the "advance throttle" forward either on my shifter.

14. Member
    report back

15. Member
    report back
    Didnt work out. Think I’m going to have to schedule some shop time. Thanks all.

16. Member
    report back
    Didnt work out. Think I’m going to have to schedule some shop time. Thanks all.

17. Member
    they can be fun by yourself shouldnt take a good shop 10 min to line up shift shafts for ya

18. Member
    I've had this problem before. I just kept working with it until I got it lined up. Don't panic and get frustrated like I did. It's easier with two people
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

19. Member
    See the FAQ for a simple way to this the NEXT time - Water Pump Replacement