Thread: fuel/ethanol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JS! View Post
    OK.

And it's great you can buy Non-Ethanol gas at a premium price....or you can use Mercury additives with the lower-price gas and get the same results.
    Ain't never a good reason to cuss.

My comment was based on all the CA BS that gets push on to other states for no good reason. If you removed every single car off the USA roads, will that stop the icebergs from melting?? or prevent your forest fires? My premium fuel still cost less than your no lead, even in NYS, and BTW, I don't give a rat's azz about politics, since I have never met an honest 1 of any party.

The tech you a referring to is Don Weed, as best as they come, and has helped me out a bunch. He knows my motor and what I run.

2. Dogfish_Jones
    Go fill up on 87 octane and use it and you will never have a problem. If you happen to not use it for a month throw a splash of fuel additives in it.
    This non ethanol stuff will only lighten your wallet. You are just falling into some silly stupid game trying to run around looking for non ethanol gas.

3. Member
    Dogfish,
    based on what everyone is been posting, even in other forums, it seems that in many areas there is a challenge in finding ethanol free fuel. I have 3 stations within 10 miles, and the same goes for many other parts of NYS, even though there is an ethanol plant 30 min from me.
    Perhaps, when they first thought of the idea, there may have been a need to supplement the farmer, but we have more crude making it unnecessary. Now, if they would have done it correctly by doing alcohol injection, it would create more HP and much cleaner burn. The problem is mixing it into the fuel, which makes it very inefficient and poor fuel mileage to boot.

My 13 GMC can run E85, but I loose power and mileage, while using up a lot more fuel making it a bad choice all around, but due to lobbyists, they will keep on doing it wrong regardless.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Ain't never a good reason to cuss.

My comment was based on all the CA BS that gets push on to other states for no good reason. If you removed every single car off the USA roads, will that stop the icebergs from melting?? or prevent your forest fires? My premium fuel still cost less than your no lead, even in NYS, and BTW, I don't give a rat's azz about politics, since I have never met an honest 1 of any party.

The tech you a referring to is Don Weed, as best as they come, and has helped me out a bunch. He knows my motor and what I run.
    Alright, brother. It's all good. I just took a little offense because your comment was directed to my home state and not what I posted. Yea we got some crazies here, so do you. They are everywhere but people always want to blame those of us who were born and raised here in the Golden State. And you are 100% right, they are all crooks. If you met me you would know I lean a lot further right than the average blue-faced hippie out here - just trust me on that one.

So let's just call it good, agree that there ought to be Ethanol-free fuel everywhere, but also agree not to dig into fellow boaters here about things that are not in our control. Sound good? Does to me.

John
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    Fresh gas is key, Don't fill the tank, unless you are going to use the boat a lot,
    If the boat sits for weeks I would only fill the tank enough for the day so you don't run out & then go get fresh gas right before the next fishing trip.
    Fresh gas is better than gas that's been sitting, I usually fill my tank to 1/2, use it till I'm down to around 1/4 then fill to 1/2.
    Plus you don't have the extra Gas weight.
    I got a 1998 Triton and never had any problems w/ the ethanol, I use my boat 3 times a week.
    Boats that sit for long periods have the problems.
    From what I have read here, a full tank will attract less water that a partially full tank. The alcohol (Ethanol) is a water attractant. A full tank has far less surface area for condensation to build, which is water that will end up in your fuel. This is especially true if you have a vented tank. Newer, pressurized tanks that do not allow air in and out are better. Absolutely treat your fuel for storage but do it with a full tank to reduce condensation. Lots of posts on these boards about it.

6. Member
    JS,
    It all good on my front 2. BTW, did you read the 'Don Weed cocktail' that he has posted on the sticky, or if you don't find it PM Don look for 'European AM'. Look at the sticky on the 3L & 3L HP forum.

Found it for you
    "Mercury Component Cocktail"- for EVERY tank of fuel, whether or not your fuel contains Ethanol: (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare +
    -1oz Mercury QuickLeen
    ----------------------------
    Per 5 Gallons of Fuel (in EVERY TANK).

In addition to the above, it is acceptable to add 150:1 mix of Premium PLUS in the fuel tank (for OPTIMAX engine models). This has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown).

(If leaving fuel in boat for more than 30 days, be sure to also add Mercury QuickStor).

Here is what I have done. It works for me. It might not for you. IDK.
    I have only owned 2 boats, both with 4S Yamaha motors. First one was a F50, on a G-3 Pro 175. Bought straight up 87 octane, with ethanol and always put in Stabil. Second one was a Ranger with a F225. Bought straight up 87 octane, again with ethanol. Always put in Stabil and Yamalube Ring Free. I don't wait until the end of the season. I just put them in all the time. Some years I put the boat up with almost no fuel. This year the tanks are almost full. So far no fuel issues yet. I hope I didn't jinx myself. My worst year so far, on my first trip of the season, I had to press the start button a second time to get it to start. Unfortunately for me, due to work and ice, my boat sits for up to 5 months, November to March.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

8. Member
    Fish Wisperer. I think you are fine with your routine. A full tank of stabilized fuel is recommended to reduce surface area inside the tank for condensation along with an additive to keep the fuel fresh and reduce corrosion.

I let a partial tank of fuel sit in my MasterCraft twice for well over a year using Stabil and had zero issues when I got her back on the water. In over twelve years I have owned her my MasterCraft has never not started, not once. And I always have used Stabil in winter storage. I don't have enough data on my newer 150 four stroke to comment.

9. Member
    Blew the powerhead on my Merc 150 EFI just out of extended warranty due to ethenol. Wasn't a mole hill to me. Had to sell the boat. Lived in New Jersey at the time. Easy to find ethenol free gas here in Florida.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12