FloTorq IV --> SSR. Will it be an improvement?

Merc 150 4stroke, 2B181067
    Currently Run Tempest Plus 19P in cool weather/light loads WOT about 5500 w/ this prop
    Otherwise run Rev 4 17P in hot weather and heavier loads, WOT about 5650-5700 w/ this prop

Been running the FLO Torq IV, and am OK w/ this, but prop rattle is present at idle still, and shift clunk pretty inevitible w/ these heavy props.

Will the SSR be a large improvement over the FT IV? Is it worth the ~$120?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

It made a big difference on my rig.. I had a very noticeable low speed vibration with my original 4 blade promax props . I bought a 5 blade max5 and it wasn't as bad. added the the new hub and vibration was gone.. with the digital shifter and this hub there really isn't the old clunk with the big 30 pitch props

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Big improvement from what we've seen.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks, I’ll give it a try!

5. Member
    Part Number for the SSR on the 150 FS?
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JS! View Post
    Part Number for the SSR on the 150 FS?
    From the FAQ Section:

SSR Hub Kits

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Would you recommend the Plastic or "Solid" SSR for the 150 4s running a Merc Stainless Prop (Rev 4 or Tempest Plus)?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either will work, but I would probably stick with the plastic one for that engine.

9. Member
    Thanks Don.

10. Member
    Finally got ahold of the Plastic SSR hub kit. Package instruction sheet in box of 8M0150151 has torque spec of 100 ft lb, that seem right?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Follow the package instructions as written. 1st time torquing that hub kit is what seats it fully (recommend splitting the torque into multiple stages, one stage for each prop blade).

See the FAQ Section post on SSR Hub Kits for more detail.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Follow the package instructions as written. 1st time torquing that hub kit is what seats it fully (recommend splitting the torque into multiple stages, one stage for each prop blade).

See the FAQ Section post on SSR Hub Kits for more detail.
    Yes, kind of figured that first torque seated it, cause there was no way to seat it by hand...sheesh...did the 25ft-lb/blade on my 4 blade Rev4.
    Thanks for the tip.

Incidentally, when I took the FloTorq iV out to put the SSR in, I could not get the thrust washer off the prop shaft, so just left it on there and put the SSR Hub in my prop, and put it all back on using existing Thrust Washer, seemed to be same as the one in SSR kit.

What is the trick for freeing the Thrust Washer? Some sort of Puller?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bearing carrier puller works well. Other methods can be used but there are risks to the gearcase (potential to damage the gearcase bore if you were to pry against it).

14. Member
    Update: Finally got the boat out w/ the new SSR Hub In the prop...man...amazing difference.
    All old "prop rattle" is now gone, which always annoyed me.
    Shifting into forward gear is free of any "clunk."
    Still a clunk when shifting into reverse, but don't completely mind that...always good to know when in gear going backwards.

Net, feel like Merc's improvement here was worth the cash spent.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Yes, kind of figured that first torque seated it, cause there was no way to seat it by hand...sheesh...
    I put mine in the freezer for a while then lubed the prop. Helped a lot. Still would not seat 100% without help from the nut.