Hardest Part of Investing

For me it is the waiting. I have a list of stocks I would like to buy but they are valued above what I think they are worth. Selling puts helps a little but some are so far out of the money it makes the premium is not worth it.

2. Member
    My Brother and I were talking last night about retirement accounts. He is almost 60 and I am almost 56. The high market valuation is scary. We don’t have enough to retire, but have a substantial amount where a 30-40% pullback is painful.

However, timing of market ups/downs is not possible. I almost started a thread last week about high valuations and possible upcoming bubble(s).

I did not expect the market to keep going up after elections.

Right now my plan is to try and keep maxing out 401K, HSA, and IRA contributions. Stay as diversified as I can in good funds and let it ride.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I think I have missed more gains waiting, than if I had just bought something and rode out any dips. I do park money into spacs while I wait for any dips to buy.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    My Brother and I were talking last night about retirement accounts. He is almost 60 and I am almost 56. The high market valuation is scary. We don’t have enough to retire, but have a substantial amount where a 30-40% pullback is painful.

However, timing of market ups/downs is not possible. I almost started a thread last week about high valuations and possible upcoming bubble(s).

I did not expect the market to keep going up after elections.

Right now my plan is to try and keep maxing out 401K, HSA, and IRA contributions. Stay as diversified as I can in good funds and let it ride.
    Yeah it can be a damned if you do damned if you don't. The problem I'm facing is I have finally almost liquidated a stock position I inherited and now I'm sitting on a ton of cash (65%) of the account. I've been buying individual stocks selectively (BMY, LMT and a few others) that fell to what I think were reasonable levels but there sure aren't many to choose from right now. It could go up for a few years and these levels may look low or they could drop in a month. Having interest rates this low doesn't give you many alternatives. I guess I will keep wading in slowly. Not selling anything but have a lot of cash to put to work.

Short story. March 2020 I invested $4000 into stocks That Crashed big time... Haliburton, Penn, and a few other penny stocks. I let my mom in on the ones I did as well. I made a few bucks in the first 2 months so I tipped my hand at day trading ... within a few months blew up my account. By the end of December my Mother throws out a few ticker signs and asks if I still have them. Said nope sold them. Well at the time Penn was $17 Hal $6.50 also had 1000 shares of Party city at .51 cents . Today Penn $100 Hal $21 Party City $8.00. Slow and steady wins the race... most of the time. Good luck Not giving advice just sharing. I am still in a few... Red days dont hurt anymore .
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!