4 stroke comparison Verado vs Pro XS

My dad is looking to repower his 521vx Ranger with a new 4 stroke and has two options. Left over Pro Verado 250 and a new 250 Pro XS. Which would be the best motor? Pros & Cons?

2. mikesxpress
    Zach that hull is not going to like the added weight of a Verado. Get the specifications for each engine from the Mercury website.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Both are good engines- and I've seen both mounted to that hull with good overall performance.

While I would not personally hesitate to own an L6 Verado again, the new ProXS will require less re-rigging and expense if he had a Merc engine previously, and does have an impressive weight-displacement and weight-torque ratio.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Both are good engines- and I've seen both mounted to that hull with good overall performance.

While I would not personally hesitate to own an L6 Verado again, the new ProXS will require less re-rigging and expense if he had a Merc engine previously, and does have an impressive weight-displacement and weight-torque ratio.
    Thanks Don! He does currently have Mercury power (225 Optimax). He had already put his deposit on the ProXS then the dealer found the Verado and he was torn on what to do.