Mounting Precision 9

Just about to mount my Lowrance Precision 9 Compass for the Auto Pilot and I really only have 2 mounting options 1 is inside the cabin at the bow or option 2 is more in the centre of the boat but to the port side I know ideally in the centre is best but of my 2 options which would be the best?

2. Member
    Since P9 does not have a GPS-receiver it can be placed in the cabin, in the bilge or under a hatch etc. It does not need a "clear view of the sky" like Point-1. It is however just as sensetive for magnetic interference, so make sure you test for that properly before mounting it permanently. Ideally you want the P9 as low as possible, and as close to the centerline as possible, in the back 2/3s of your boat as that will give the best results with your AP. Of your two options, I would go with number 2.

3. Member
    Mount 1.JPGMount 2.JPG

Had a bit of a brain wave and decided to mount the Precision 9 in the starboard tackle rack under the seat pedestal which is aluminium. It meant giving up 1 tackle box but I can live with that. I checked the magnetic field with a magnetometer app and had a near zero reading. The location is 12 inches to the starboard from center and about the middle of the boat length ways.I have relocated all the hooks to the port tackle boxes and only have plastics or non ferrous items under the Precision 9 had to make up a bit of a mounting (the blue bit) will test when the weather allows.

4. Member
    Cool idea. :)

I install in my friend's boat in the floor rods storage compartment

6. Member
    Went out fishing today and I am pleased to say that the Precision 9 set up worked brilliantly it tracked perfectly along the "roadway" so I am happy