Thread: Slide in camper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slide in camper

Found a pop up slide in camper that is made with a light aluminum frame that fits into 1/2 ton trucks. Turns out my Tundra which will tow 9600lbs cant carry this 1000lb. camper and not be overloaded with its payload rating of 1430lbs cause I tow. Thats not even taking into account gear, water, people and what ever else you load into a truck to go fish camping for a few weeks. It would be grossly overloaded because of the tongue weight of the trailer. I found out that a way to get tongue weight is to find the GVWR of the trailer and estimate the tongue weight is 12 to 15% of that. My 4900lb trailer GVWR means my trailer tongue weight is 588 to 735lbs. Do you guys have any clue what an average 20 1/2 ft bass boat on a dual axle trailers tongue weight is estimated at cause Im hard pressed to believe its that much? Im also hard pressed to believe I cant safely put a 1,000lb low profile slide in camper in a Tundra and tow this boat? My 2014 5.7 Tundra has the tow package and has rear airbags and Bilstein HDs. Anybody with anything close to this set up have any feedback?

2. Member
    What trailer are you towing 4900 lbs in?

You are probably only rated to tow 9600lbs with a weight distributing hitch.

3. Member
    I can't really answer your question but I can tell you that I put an old heavy wood framed slide in camper in my Ram 1500 with a bass boat on the back and hauled it all over the place. I didn't have air bags and it squatted quite a bit but it handled it just fine. I never even checked to see what my load limit was. I would think you would be just fine with your truck carrying that load.

I was under the impression tongue weight was 10 % of Gross trailer weight , Early 2000's I had a Tundra with a 1995 8 foot Fleetwood wood frame slide in camper and towed an 18 foot bass boat , and the only thing I added was air shocks , not the air bags , and ran that for around 4 years no issues at all and the Tundra hauled the combo with ease

2009 ELITE 210

5. Member
    I had a Lance TC for several years, and loved it! Am always thinking of selling 5th wheel, and going back to one. So to your question...

You DON'T go by payload!! You are not just loading the bed of the truck, you are loading the axles. The proper way to determine what you can haul is to first go to a truck stop and weigh your truck. Next, look on the door sticker at your GVWR. It will probably be broken down into a number for each axle. Add these two numbers together, then subtract the weight of your truck. the amount remaining is what you can safely and legally haul on your truck.

If we all went by payload not even the biggest one tons could haul a decent truck camper; payload is the most useless truck spec ever!
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    What trailer are you towing 4900 lbs in?

You are probably only rated to tow 9600lbs with a weight distributing hitch.
    That # is the Master Marine trailers GVWR rating printed on the trailer that carries my Falcon

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRO_1399 View Post
    I can't really answer your question but I can tell you that I put an old heavy wood framed slide in camper in my Ram 1500 with a bass boat on the back and hauled it all over the place. I didn't have air bags and it squatted quite a bit but it handled it just fine. I never even checked to see what my load limit was. I would think you would be just fine with your truck carrying that load.
    I agree JRO 1399. Interweb research scared me away from doing it but more I thought about it the more I doubted the info.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    I had a Lance TC for several years, and loved it! Am always thinking of selling 5th wheel, and going back to one. So to your question...

You DON'T go by payload!! You are not just loading the bed of the truck, you are loading the axles. The proper way to determine what you can haul is to first go to a truck stop and weigh your truck. Next, look on the door sticker at your GVWR. It will probably be broken down into a number for each axle. Add these two numbers together, then subtract the weight of your truck. the amount remaining is what you can safely and legally haul on your truck.

If we all went by payload not even the biggest one tons could haul a decent truck camper; payload is the most useless truck spec ever!
    That totally makes the whole deal much more realistic. Thanks Mick 2268

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL LO View Post
    I was under the impression tongue weight was 10 % of Gross trailer weight , Early 2000's I had a Tundra with a 1995 8 foot Fleetwood wood frame slide in camper and towed an 18 foot bass boat , and the only thing I added was air shocks , not the air bags , and ran that for around 4 years no issues at all and the Tundra hauled the combo with ease
    There you go, thanks for that info

GVWR is the weight of your vehicle, payload, people, gear—— anything that is in/ on that vehicle when it is on the road. Take the weight of the vehicle, take the weight the slide in camper, passengers, ect and add the tongue weight. Here are some specs, you can do the homework and add the weight of the other stuff.
    Without knowing the tongue weight, passengers ect. Looks like the max you might have is 1500 lbs

11. Member
    I can tell you that my Ranger 520c Tongue weight is 290#. I have a tongue weigh scale for measuring tongue weight behind my truck camper.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    I can tell you that my Ranger 520c Tongue weight is 290#. I have a tongue weigh scale for measuring tongue weight behind my truck camper.

wow is that all??? That seems light

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    wow is that all??? That seems light
    Yep that's it. You figure my trailer is rated at 5000# the boat unloaded is approx 1800, a 4 stroke is 500lbs, that only 2300, add all the gear even at 500 pounds your are under 3000. Tongue weight when level is about 10% so mine at 290 is right there.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

You should be fine. You will nearly max your GVWR with the camper, gear, and people in the truck, but it should be fine.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

15. Member
    That makes more sense. Thanks

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
    You should be fine. You will nearly max your GVWR with the camper, gear, and people in the truck, but it should be fine.
    Appreciate that alpine4x4

17. Member
    I have a very similar set up: a 2008 Tundra CrewMax 5.7 4x4 with Firestone airbags and a Northstar cab-over pop-up and have no problem towing my 18'9" Ranger 462. I'm guessing your talking about a 4WheelCamper or similar, my Northstar is about 400lbs heavier than yours (more wood) but I'm willing to bet your boat at 20' is about 400 lbs heavier than mine so it's about even... although it's easier tow more weight than haul it so I'd say you're probably fine. I take mine up to Clear Lake several time per year which is a 3 hour drive with about 45 min of mountains and no issue. In fact my buddy who has a Ram 2500 Cummins and hates Toyota always comments about how well my Tundra handles the load. It tends to lean and sway quite a bit without the air bags inflated but with 45-50lbs psi in them it does great.... coming down hill does give the breaks a workout though. If you're talking mostly flat ground and you have airbags you'll hardly even notice the difference over towing your boat, my mpg towing alone is about 12 and with the camper and boat drops to about 9.9 fyi
    .2302868F-0157-4ED5-B072-238BD1AF6B36.jpeg
    FB09280B-9781-4A57-A590-E14B9C209568.jpeg
    Last edited by BDBR; 01-14-2021 at 08:51 AM.

18. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    add bags and send it

Yep that's it. You figure my trailer is rated at 5000# the boat unloaded is approx 1800, a 4 stroke is 500lbs, that only 2300, add all the gear even at 500 pounds your are under 3000. Tongue weight when level is about 10% so mine at 290 is right there.
    You forgot the weight of the trailer, probably close to 1000 pounds. You will want to add gas and oils too. I would bet you are pushing 4250-4750.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    You forgot the weight of the trailer, probably close to 1000 pounds. You will want to add gas and oils too. I would bet you are pushing 4250-4750.
    I can assure you I am not based on tongue weight.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast