injector code/alarm trouble shooting help please

2010 250 ProXS Opti sn#1B822048 174hrs on rebuild

second day of the toyota series championship my motor started missing/surging and acting funny. on the way back up towards the weigh in it started an alarm i had never heard, one beep every second for as long as the key was on or motor running. shut it down and got a ride in.

took it to chattanooga fish and fun, Tom checked it out and said the #1 injector "stuck open" was the code but when he test fired it with the laptop everything checked out and thought it was an random error. nope, did it again within 5mins of running.

so took it back up to Duck River(where i bought the motor) and let Brian and his guys have a go at it. they ran it several times and got it throw the code(#1 once and #3 the other time). checked compression(all good). flowed injectors(all good) and they think its a wiring failure.

replaced the plugs(one thread i read suggested a a faulty plug could cause this error)

talked to Don, who suggested "the wiggle test" which i spent most of the day saturday running it, manipulating and inspecting the wiring going to and from the injectors but couldnt find anything.(even swapped injectors from my other motor, didnt solve it).

how do i test the wiring? would rather replace/repair one or two sets of injector wires vs replacing entire wiring harness

TIA!
    There is NO substitute for time on the water!

2. Member
    Ohm test ?

3. Member
    had an injector dtc, nothing wrong with the injector, replaced harness and all was good.

4. Member
    repair ends are availible from MERC ,id clean those connections very good first on inj and connector
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    repair ends are availible from MERC ,id clean those connections very good first on inj and connector
    +1... exactly the advice I gave when I spoke to him.

Are you STILL getting the fault? Doing a "wiggle test" really should be done while on the G3-CDS, and performing an injector test on each injector and wiggling harnesses to and near to that particular injector.

Unless you're really good with recognizing the "sound" of the engine, it's going to be difficult to catch an electrical harness glitch just by running the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    Ohm test ?
    did you replace the entire wiring harness or just for the injector?

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yes sir, already done. no corrosion on either end on any of the injectors

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1... exactly the advice I gave when I spoke to him.

Are you STILL getting the fault? Doing a "wiggle test" really should be done while on the G3-CDS, and performing an injector test on each injector and wiggling harnesses to and near to that particular injector.

Unless you're really good with recognizing the "sound" of the engine, it's going to be difficult to catch an electrical harness glitch just by running the engine.
    oh yeah still getting fault, i assume the G3-CDS is the computer(which i dont have). manipulating the wires to, from and around the injector didnt change the sound of the motor that i could detect.

part number for the repair kit/harness? 84-8M0062024?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to confirm whether you need a FUEL injector repair pigtail, or a DIRECT (Air) injector repair pigtail.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Need to confirm whether you need a FUEL injector repair pigtail, or a DIRECT (Air) injector repair pigtail.
    thought id replace both on that cylinder

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    879346A49 (Direct Injector Harness Repair Kit)

879346A50 (Fuel Injector Harness Repair Kit)

thanks for the help! ordered the parts from Don this morning ;)

and it just keeps on BEEPING!!!!!!!!! ugh!!!!

replaced the connectors on both injectors on 1 & 3, swapped injectors and still getting code. i did test the wires for continuity and theyre all good from injector plug to pcm.

now what?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Exactly what fault is shown in Printouts of the Freeze Frame History (and on which specific injector)?

This would need to be CURRENT information (not from previous diagnostic sessions).

injector error codes3.jpg from the DDT this morning

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is saying there is an open circuit for the #1 fuel injector. Better re-check your pinout/tests of those two wires.

thanks Don

Don, pm sent