MinnKota Terrova

Guys,

I was told by my local Marine Tech that most guys who are upgrading their trolling motor to any sort of Ipilot are skipping over the Terrova and going straight to the Ultrex because of concerns that the Terrova will not physically hold up to the wear and tear of a bass fisherman. He stated that a lot of Pontoon Boater are getting the Terrova Anyone experienced this? I would love an Ultrex, but my budget will only allow me to get a Terrova.

2. Member
    I had and used the hell out of the terrova on my champion and knew for along time about spot lock long before anyone even herd about a ultrex. I beat the shit out of it and fixed it so many times it’s not mentionable. They hold up very well and do the same exact service for you with the exception of the scissor mount verses the solid shaft style mount and the foot pedal is much different between the two. I threw the pedal in the trash and controlled it with the remote. The biggest issue with the terrova is that inexperienced boaters can easily damage the terrova when approaching bocks because the mount hangs over the edge of the gunnel. It took me a long time to learn the ultrex after using the terrova for so long. I love my ultrex and have nothing but good to say about the dependability of the terrova. Tight lines

2 totally different trolling motors.
    Most bass fishermen want the cable steer feel of the ultrex over the terrova.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

It's because we prefer the foot pedal. I have abused many terrovas over the years and they are more durable than ultrex in my opinion. Same/similar motors but no physical cables to snap like the 1.0's had issues with, the brains are inside a safer area on terrova and you can run them with or without foot control plugged in. Ps my boat in a full throttle rip is 1.0 mph faster with a 36 volt terrova vs a 36 volt ultrex. Just 10 minutes passed between rips.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    I have both. Run the ultrex on my bass boat and terrova on my fishing pontoon. You can get away with using the terrova but you kinda gotta always be looking ahead. Its slow. Not speed wise but steering wise. It takes a second to rotate around whereas the ultrex snatches around instantly. Really thats it

6. Member
    I had a Terrova then upgraded to the Ulterra and just upgraded again to the Ulterra Link. The only noticeable difference between Terrova and Ultrex in operation is the steering and footpedal. TMs don't come much tougher than the Terrova. I sold my used one to a friend who got lazy one day and forgot to latch it completely when stowing. it deployed while he was running about 40mph down the lake. it nearly ripped his deck off but the Terrova operates flawlessly to this day.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    2 totally different trolling motors.
    Most bass fishermen want the cable steer feel of the ultrex over the terrova.
    I have a Terrova 10plus years,it's a fine motor.I crappie fish 90+per. of the time....That being said it SUCKS as a bass fishing motor.If you fish offshore most of the time it's OK,,,Run the banks,Fish docks,blow downs,or have to manuver a lot,,,,It SUCKS,Zero feedback to your foot as to what the motor is doing,what direction it's going..You watch the motor more than you fish,it's a PITA..For bass fishing get the ultrex,or some other cable steer...Thank me later

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I have a Terrova 10plus years,it's a fine motor.I crappie fish 90+per. of the time....That being said it SUCKS as a bass fishing motor.If you fish offshore most of the time it's OK,,,Run the banks,Fish docks,blow downs,or have to manuver a lot,,,,It SUCKS,Zero feedback to your foot as to what the motor is doing,what direction it's going..You watch the motor more than you fish,it's a PITA..For bass fishing get the ultrex,or some other cable steer...Thank me later
    My best friend has a terrova and I have a xi5.
    I actually prefer having a wireless trolling motor.
    The motor is going the same direction you left it. Lol
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

9. Member
    Thanks Everyone for your knowledge......This has helped me make my decision.

I have had both in the Rip Tide models. I like my Terrova better. I use both the remote and the foot pedal controllers. I also got one of the Micro Remotes.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Nothing wrong with the durability IMO ------I had two of them before the Ultrex came out. It took some getting used to the slower reaction of the pedal. When in tight quarters you had to stay one move ahead. Lots of people who couldn't use mine.. But most of them were also slow thinkers. For me I don't have enough feel in my feet for that pedal so 90% of the time I would have it set to constant on and adjust the steering as needed with the little direction arrows on the side. Keeps your feet busy but It also helped to keep my feet squared up and level. which was the main reason I started using them and the auto pilot (fractured vertebrae). Would I go back to Terrova after having Ultrex--- no.. But I certainly understand your position.

12. Member
    I've had mine for 7 years. Its a great tm, just takes a little getting used to.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    This for sure. Terrova super durable and dependable. Put one on my father's pontoon in 2008. Added the spot lock feature to it's head whenever that came out. He uses it every day in the summer and there were years when I used it to cast for striper and bass. But it was on a deep highland reservoir where stumps and other obstructions are not around. It has been super reliable for my father for years while he pulls planer boards in open water for stripers. I could see the zero feedback and slow steering of Terrova being VERY frustrating in typical bass fishing situations and would definitely not put one on my bass boat. But it seems like that Terrova has lasted forever. Great product
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 01-13-2021 at 11:03 AM.

14. Banned
    I have a terrova and bass 100% of the time. It takes a little time to adjust but when I have to net a fish or tie a hook I hit spot lock.. Never any problems with it.