Question Does Lowrance Side Imaging Support Zoom and Contour Mode?

Has Lowrance added the ability to zoom in a subset of the DI or SI image like Humminbird has?

Has Lowrance added equivalent of Humminbird's Contour mode for SI?

I have an older HDS Gen1 and LSS-1 setup and I'm upgrading my setup this spring. As I go through the comparisons I realize that these two features would be handy to have.

Marlin Frederick

2. Member
    Neither are available with any Lowrance side imaging transducer.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    You can use the Structure Overlay on the Chart Page and eliminate the water column which is similar to HB contour mode.
    Doctor Sonar®
    Go Fishing, the Clock is Ticking

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
    You can use the Structure Overlay on the Chart Page and eliminate the water column which is similar to HB contour mode.
    I think most people do not understand this feature and it is something I use alot. As far as zoom goes, no Lowrance doesnt have a box but it does zoom. It also keeps history so when you zoom on a feature and go back to sidescan you can look to see what you may have missed. There is no history on the bird for some reason.

5. Banned
    Anyone else notice that the frequency choice is active for sidescan with a 3D StructureScan setup ONLY when running as a Structure Overlay? I toggled between 455 and 800 but saw no difference. The quality of the scan appears not as good while running in this mode but is was helpful to see it and contour lines together. I hadn't tried it before reading this post.

6. Member
    Let me see if I have this right.

1) You can get the same effect as contour mode , by going to Structure Overlay on the chart page. I'll google that to see what I can learn about it. It sounds like you can't select the frequency when in this mode though and that it is either fixed or automatically selected. Is this different when using a Active Imaging 3 in 1 transducer versus a 3D structure scan transducer and module?

2) There is no "zoom box" on SI and DI with Lowrance, but you can zoom the whole image I guess? When zooming the whole image do you select the center of the zoom with your cursor or something like that? FYI, Humminbird does offer history scroll back now, but only on the Solix models and likely the upcoming Apex models. At least that is what I'm told.

I have an additional question as well. I see that Humminbird's Mega SI and DI imaging technologies are also CHIRP, but the frequency band appears to be small. On the HDS Live units from Lowrance are they also CHIRP for their SI and DI? Does this narrow band make a difference?

Marlin Frederick

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin View Post
    Let me see if I have this right.

1) You can get the same effect as contour mode , by going to Structure Overlay on the chart page. I'll google that to see what I can learn about it. It sounds like you can't select the frequency when in this mode though and that it is either fixed or automatically selected. Is this different when using a Active Imaging 3 in 1 transducer versus a 3D structure scan transducer and module?

2) There is no "zoom box" on SI and DI with Lowrance, but you can zoom the whole image I guess? When zooming the whole image do you select the center of the zoom with your cursor or something like that? FYI, Humminbird does offer history scroll back now, but only on the Solix models and likely the upcoming Apex models. At least that is what I'm told.

3) I have an additional question as well. I see that Humminbird's Mega SI and DI imaging technologies are also CHIRP, but the frequency band appears to be small. On the HDS Live units from Lowrance are they also CHIRP for their SI and DI? Does this narrow band make a difference?
    1. Selection of frequenzy is the same as what you run in the SideScan-view. (STructureScan 3D only has 455khz, AI-transdcuers have both 4588 and 800.)
    2. Yes, you put the cursor on what you want to look at, and press zoom. Example:

Zoomed in:

3. No, Lowrance does not use chirp for their scanning sonar. No, that is most likely not what makes up for any differences.

8. Member
    Thank you for the very clear answers.

Marlin Frederick

9. Banned
    1. Selection of frequenzy is the same as what you run in the SideScan-view. (STructureScan 3D only has 455khz, AI-transdcuers have both 4588 and 800.)
    I'm running SS3D and telling you there is a selection for 455/800 in Structure Overlay. The frequency setting is not present when just looking at a sidescan image. As I mentioned, it does not seem to do anything to the image so it may be a "nothing switch" but it is there.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljanse View Post
    I'm running SS3D and telling you there is a selection for 455/800 in Structure Overlay. The frequency setting is not present when just looking at a sidescan image. As I mentioned, it does not seem to do anything to the image so it may be a "nothing switch" but it is there.
    As you mention, with SS 3D nothing happens when you change frequenzy in the StructureMap-menu. It is just a software-error, a «nothing switch». With a transducer capable of both frequenzies, you will see a difference in the StructureMap.