cutting a pork butt in half?

Bought my first pork butt. Am considering cutting it in half. Smoking half and freezing the other half. Is there any reason not too cut it in half? I'm thinking it will reduce the time to smoke. What do you think? good idea/bad idea?

thanks!

2. Member
    Cook the whole thing and then cut it in half, freeze a half already cooked and thaw it later on the grill. Saves time next time you want smoked pork butt.....

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    Cook the whole thing and then cut it in half, freeze a half already cooked and thaw it later on the grill. Saves time next time you want smoked pork butt.....
    X2

Firing up the smoker and cleaning up are the hard parts. Heck, I’ve been known to grab two when they are on sale and freeze a whole smoked butt. Very little more work to cook two or three than one.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Add me to the list of cook the whole thing and freeze the rest. I do it all the time. Nice to be able to pull it from the freezer to heat & eat.

I make chili, tacos, and once added some to lasagna I was needing meat for.

I've cut them in half many times and it works fine, smaller size will smoke faster. I have an electric smoker so it's no pain smoking meat and with only two of us I prefer doing it that way a lot of times.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

6. Member
    x3
    TrackerUser

7. Member
    x4
    you can cut in 1/2 but why? Unless you just like to use your smoker. I freeze pulled pork already pulled in quart freezer bags, thaws out in a few minutes and tastes just like it came off the smoker. Try it, you will like it.....👍

8. Member
    Always smoke at least 2. We’ll eat on 1 for a day then I’ll go ahead and pull both, put in vacuum bags ( enough for 2 servings for both wife and me) and freeze them.