Transom Saver G2

I plan to get a Transom Saver for my (new to me) 225 G2 motor. I am looking at the DD26 Transom Saver.

My question is do you always need to rely on memory to remove the transom saver? I imagine I will forget about it a some point and just dump a $200 part in to the water after launching. Has this ever happened or is there a step that makes it idiot proof? I also considered a tether or something like that.
    James Braun
    jamesb@classiccoatings.com
    Ranger Z20, 225 E-Tec

I have one on my G2 and have never forgotten to take it off. If you are worried tie a string to it that you have to untie to take off.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

3. Member
    it will become part of your pre-launch routine, removing it..
    2018 Crestliner PT20
    2018 Evinrude G2 200 H.O.
    Duel 8' PP blades
    Atlas hydraulic jackplate

Get you a brightly colored one and put some reflective tape on it so that it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Or I suppose you could slice a pool noodle down the middle and wrap it?
    At that point it'll be so ugly it'll be the first thing you want to get off when you get to the ramp!
    united in the pursuit of bass.

5. Member
    I just use the internal built in lever that it came with. My dealer also runs a G2 and he said that’s what it was designed for and what he uses and has never had a problem. It sure is nice not to have to remove anything. If you do forget to deploy it you can do it with the boat in the water. I love this setup!
    Pool 10

6. Member
    My biggest concern is the motor turning left and right while driving. The built in bract does not keep the motor from shifting side to side. Too bad the engineers didn't have the obvious insight to prevent that.
    James Braun
    jamesb@classiccoatings.com
    Ranger Z20, 225 E-Tec

7. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    I use the MotorMate brand on my G2 and it is great. It latches into the transom bracket so it requires deliberate operator action to remove i.e. won't release into the abyss...

BTW - the integral "kickstand" on my G2 broke... which they did replace under warranty but the MM works MUCH better, SOLID!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I use the T-H Marine saver on my 225 G2. It takes seconds to install or remove, and also controls side-to-side movement. Rock solid. It’s $119 at Tackle Warehouse, but if you trimmed up the motor with the boat in the water, it would sink. However, as high as the motor sits while on this saver, I can’t see anyone wanting to raise the motor higher when launched. Quite the opposite.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    I know this is an old thread but TH Marine no longer stocks their transom saver. Has anyone found a good alternative? Is there any way to stop the G2 from turning if using the built in lever?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerranger View Post
    I know this is an old thread but TH Marine no longer stocks their transom saver. Has anyone found a good alternative? Is there any way to stop the G2 from turning if using the built in lever?
    I just used the kick stand and don't know anything about other devices. But to keep it from turning, you need to buy steer stops. TH Marine makes them.

11. Member
    I haven't seen steering stops for a G2.

12. Member
    Steering stops do not work on a G2 because it does not have an external, seastar type of steering cylinder.
    Evinrude used to have this for the purpose.
    G2 Steering Bracket Brace for Trailering
    # 768606
    cannot say if it is still available.

13. Member
    Thats what I thought about the steering stops.
    I've been trying to find the Evinrude brace. Can no longer find it on their website or elsewhere.

14. Member
    My bad. I went with hydraulic steering for my G2. I did not want to take a chance on the power steering when hydraulic is tried and true.

I've been trying to find the Evinrude brace. Can no longer find it on their website or elsewhere.
    Check with the sponsor of etecownersgroup.com
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Shoot me a PM. I've got an OEM brace that I've kept as a spare if my DD26 brace ever broke.
    united in the pursuit of bass.