Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Pa has vehicle inspections. Not a big deal.
    It is for some of us.

2. Member
    When considering a move to Pennsylvania you should be aware that the state is moving to instituting a toll on the major bridges in the state. Those on the interstate highways will be the first, but I have no doubt that once the politicians see how much money they can generate the program will be expanded.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    When considering a move to Pennsylvania you should be aware that the state is moving to instituting a toll on the major bridges in the state. Those on the interstate highways will be the first, but I have no doubt that once the politicians see how much money they can generate the program will be expanded.
    I cross 3 bridges 2x a day 6 days a week for work ,not including running errands on the weekend. Things are just going to keep getting out of hand.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    I cross 3 bridges 2x a day 6 days a week for work ,not including running errands on the weekend. Things are just going to keep getting out of hand.
    The electronic tolls on the turnpike showed them how easy it is. I don’t expect them to draw the line with bridges. They have wanted to toll I-80 for years. That is where they will start and add other highways over time.

5. Member
    Inspection - you need to get safe all that I'm going to say. I will note if your in an emissions county that might suck at times. We dont have that in Somerset Co.

I saw the proposed bridge tax. Did a fast review of where I travel and there would be one bridge that would be a pain in the ass. There is no good way to avoid it between Washington and Greensburg. However there is one between Johnstown and Somerset that my wife and I use more than 20 times a week. The good news is there are several easy ways to get around using this bridge, though still a pain.

Hey I see more states doing things to pick up loss income, Pa took a hit on their overpriced gas tax in 2020.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

6. Member
    In addition to that, other options PennDOT is considering are:

• Spot tolling: collecting fees from drivers passing through a specific location such as a tunnel or bridge.
    • Managed lanes: additional lanes on a highway where traffic can be regulated by charging a toll. This gives drivers the option of paying a fee, carpooling or using the regular lanes.
    • Rush hour pricing: users are charged based on the congestion of the highway
    • Corridor tolling: similar to what is in place on the Pennsylvania Turnpike
    • Road user charges: uses GPS technology to track the number of miles you drive wherein drivers would face a small fee for each mile they drive during the year
    • Fee & tax increases: increasing vehicle-related fees and/or increasing various taxes, except for the gas tax

PennDOT blames shrinking gas tax and federal money as a main reason it is facing an $8.1 billion shortfall in its annual highway and bridge transportation funding. A news release from the agency said federal funding rates have not changed for years and gas tax revenue has “become increasingly unreliable.

PA Department of Transportation

@PennDOTNews

People are using less gas – which is great for our environment, but it means less funding from our gas tax. Today, our funding can’t cover the many needs of our system. To learn more about these challenges and what we can do, visit http://penndot.gov/funding#FundingFriday

All good stuff. I really appreciate all of this insight.

8. Member
    In addition to that, other options PennDOT is considering are:

• Spot tolling: collecting fees from drivers passing through a specific location such as a tunnel or bridge.
    • Managed lanes: additional lanes on a highway where traffic can be regulated by charging a toll. This gives drivers the option of paying a fee, carpooling or using the regular lanes.
    • Rush hour pricing: users are charged based on the congestion of the highway
    • Corridor tolling: similar to what is in place on the Pennsylvania Turnpike
    • Road user charges: uses GPS technology to track the number of miles you drive wherein drivers would face a small fee for each mile they drive during the year
    • Fee & tax increases: increasing vehicle-related fees and/or increasing various taxes, except for the gas tax

PennDOT blames shrinking gas tax and federal money as a main reason it is facing an $8.1 billion shortfall in its annual highway and bridge transportation funding. A news release from the agency said federal funding rates have not changed for years and gas tax revenue has “become increasingly unreliable.

PA Department of Transportation

@PennDOTNews

People are using less gas – which is great for our environment, but it means less funding from our gas tax. Today, our funding can’t cover the many needs of our system. To learn more about these challenges and what we can do, visit http://penndot.gov/funding#FundingFriday

PennDOT released the bridges that will start the process of tolling everything. They are:

I-83 South Bridge in Harrisburg (Dauphin County);

I-78 Lenhartsville Bridge Replacement Project (Berks County);

I-79 Widening, Bridges and Bridgeville Interchange Reconfiguration (Allegheny County);

I-80 Canoe Creek Bridges (Clarion County);

I-80 Nescopeck Creek Bridges (Luzerne County);

I-80 North Fork Bridges Project (Jefferson County);

I-80 Over Lehigh River Bridge Project (Luzerne and Carbon counties);

I-81 Susquehanna Project (Susquehanna County);

I-95 Girard Point Bridge Improvement Project (Philadelphia County).

I mentioned earlier that they have wanted to toll I-80 for years. Looks like they are going to do an end around by just tolling the bridges on it.

9. Member
    I heard the bridge tax proposals this morning as well. We already pay to travel a turnpike (including the NE Extension) that is worse than many other roads in the Commonwealth are are not toll! Crazy! They said that it is needed to fix/repair/maintain these bridges.....how about managing your system, aka...$$ better and try not taxing everyone to correct poor management strategies....ok, rant over!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrybusy View Post
    I heard the bridge tax proposals this morning as well. We already pay to travel a turnpike (including the NE Extension) that is worse than many other roads in the Commonwealth are are not toll! Crazy! They said that it is needed to fix/repair/maintain these bridges.....how about managing your system, aka...$$ better and try not taxing everyone to correct poor management strategies....ok, rant over!
    There is at least one bridge on that list that isn't even finished yet, so the idea that it is to fix/repair/maintain is BS. We have a sky high gasoline tax to pay for this stuff. Unfortunately the politicians couldn't keep their hand out of the cookie jar and siphoned off money for many other things, including mass transit in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh as well as police work.

The only consolation is that PA isn't the only state with poor management.

11. Member
    This is the worst fishing thread ever.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    This is the worst fishing thread ever.
    The OP specifically asked about taxes. Better to inform him than to pretend all is rosy.

13. Member

Happy camper not one bridge affects me. Man people who live on Rt 80 are going to get screwed.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    The OP specifically asked about taxes. Better to inform him than to pretend all is rosy.
    Nothing rosy about PA anymore.

15. Member
    I’ve not read through all this, just your original post. But I’m in Northeast Pennsylvania. Wayne County. I’ve traveled all over the country and love most places I’ve been. My line of work I could live anywhere and still have the same career, heck might be better if I lived in other places. But I still choose to call the poconos home because I love them. I might move to a more saltwater fishing destination someday, but for now I love this. Hunting is good if you are any good, fishing isn’t amazing but it’s good, and NY is close! If you end up out this way look me up!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    Nothing rosy about PA anymore.
    Get ready to bend over and spread them. Wolf is proposing to eliminate the gasoline tax. While that may seem to be good news they have determined that as high as it is it doesn't bring in enough money and they need to find other ways to raise money.

Notice there is no mention of cutting spending, just raising more money. Instead they are considering all options to put more money in the coffers. This won't end well.

17. Member
    Nothing new. Ever since the push for electric cars they have been talking about how to recover lost revenue. The 2020 shut down has now advanced this issue. They will either do a mileage tax, increase registration, along with turning small roads to townships etc. I can't cok0lain where I live the cost of living is darn cheap. The problem is we now have more new comers buying up land and houses. Since they now can work from home they are coming in from New York, New Jersey and Maryland. The are leaving The cities and high taxes.

18. Member
    Revenue also lost from many leaving the state and the tax breaks they keep giving to attract businesses to move here when they can’t fill positions.

19. Member
    Just be grateful you aren't moving to the eastern part of the state. I guess there are a few places it the Northeast part of the state with decent fishing, but it's a bit longer drive than I want to make. Here in the ABE area it sucks. A boat would help, but I fish from shore. The Delaware River has very good smallmouth fishing, but finding a place to fish from shore is extremely hard, and not worth the trouble to me. There is a Delaware River forum, and guys there report 100 fish days. At least they did a few years ago when I was visiting the forum.

20. Member
    Nothing new. Ever since the push for electric cars they have been talking about how to recover lost revenue. The 2020 shut down has now advanced this issue. They will either do a mileage tax, increase registration, along with turning small roads to townships etc.
    I agree but there will be more, like tolling roads beyond what has already been proposed for bridges. They will want to do something to fleece those just driving through the state. Of course residents will get nailed on that too.

The problem is we now have more new comers buying up land and houses. Since they now can work from home they are coming in from New York, New Jersey and Maryland. The are leaving The cities and high taxes.
    And they will bring their voting habits with them which will make things even worse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast