Should I use a 10" jackplate / Coral 202

My partner has an 8 inch plate now on a Coral 202 with 225 opti and running a 24 tempest runs 5600 rpm and 57mph that seems low .
    Would a 10 inch jack lift the hull more and add performance?, the boat seems to run flat especially in comparison to my triton 190. 200 efi with an 8inch plate .
    Open to all opinions.
    Thanks ...
    2002 Triton 190 FS , 200 EFI, 25 tempest plus, Garmin Force, Garmin 10 Ultra sv, LVS 34, 2 Garmin UHD 93sv

2. Member
    I owned a 202 for 12 years or so. It had a 225 Merc EFI. When I purchased the boat it didn't have a jack plate and came with a 25 pitch predator prop. I could get about 63 mph on gps. I knew from boat reviews that there was more to be had. First thing I did was put a 6" Detwiler manual jack plate on and set the prop to pad at 3 1/4" under. My speed improved to 65 mph gps. The biggest improvement came when I ditched the prop and put a 25P Tempest on. By making sure that heavy stuff was loaded in the back with just me and no water in the livewell but with a full tank of gas I could make 70 mph gps. I'm around 200 lbs. You are right the boat runs flat and it is easy to over trim which kills the speed. Trim up slowly watching your speed and rpms. As soon as speed falls and rpm goes up then bump it back down. The 202 is a very flat running hull. You may not be seeing your best speed if you are over trimming but I also wonder about your 5600 rpm with a 24 pitch prop. My 225 (2000 model) EFI would turn the 25 pitch tempest to 5650 and more in cooler weather. 57 mph is low, Perhaps you have a damaged blade / blades and are getting a lot of prop slip or your engine is a little down on power. If I were you I'd borrow a know good Tempest prop in 24 p or 25 p and see if your prop isn't your main problem.

Thanks for the response, The tempest is new.. does not mean it is right though. We lose 200 rpm with a new 25 on it. The motor only has 240 hours on it.
    The boat is in north Idaho that also drops rpm by 200 to 300 . My Triton 190 200 hp efi runs up to 6100 in seattle WOT but 5800 in Idaho.
    Do you think there is any advantage to running a 10" plate instead of the 8"?
    2002 Triton 190 FS , 200 EFI, 25 tempest plus, Garmin Force, Garmin 10 Ultra sv, LVS 34, 2 Garmin UHD 93sv

4. Pat Goff
    Fish n ski's are always harder to setup than straight bass hulls. The weight is much more forward, which does nothing but hurt pursuit of mph. With that said, your goal is to find as much lift as you can, and just first look at your results say your motor is too high now, and you're getting a lot of prop slip.
    How would you know? High roostertail? No lift, runs flat to the water? Steering really stiff at speed? Then you're too high.
    Suggestions:
    Start dropping the motor 1/4" at a time until your prop hooks up.
    Even numbered tempests are notorious for being inconsistent, majority need a loving touch to make them work.
    If you still think you want more setback, just put 2" spacers on your existing plate, no need at all to replace.
    You probably will find 4-6 mph, if you were expecting more, it's not likely.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toonedin View Post
    Thanks for the response, The tempest is new.. does not mean it is right though. We lose 200 rpm with a new 25 on it. The motor only has 240 hours on it.
    The boat is in north Idaho that also drops rpm by 200 to 300 . My Triton 190 200 hp efi runs up to 6100 in seattle WOT but 5800 in Idaho.
    Do you think there is any advantage to running a 10" plate instead of the 8"?
    Since you have tried a new 25P Tempest and your rpms feel by 200 which is what you'd expect then perhaps your prop isn't the culprit. You don't mention prop to pad distance. My rig ran best at 3 1/4" below pad but I had a 6" jack plate. Since the hull runs so flat my opinion is that a 10" plate won't help you over your 8". With your 8" plate you might get better results a little higher with the prop to pad distance than I used. My suggestion is get a good measurement so you know where you are at now. Then set it for 3 1/4" and try it. Remember that the Coral hull is a flat running hull. I agree that you want lift but that hull is never going to ride with the nose way up the air like a Skeeter or the older Rangers. The comment about it being a fish & ski is also spot on. The design just performs best running pretty flat. You can over trim and it seems to be running great but you will quickly lose speed. Good luck!

Thanks again for the response, we are at 3 1/4 below the pad.
    It could just be his tackle store that he could operate out of it.
    OMG that boat has allot of storage , he could compete with tacklewarehouse.
    It is never going to run like my Triton 190... 200 efi 6K rpm 67 mph and still climbing ( fully loaded 1 guy) and I can't drive it past that LOL, I get nervous... actually getting to old to learn how LOL

I found a deal on 10 inch plate and thought it would help his boat.

7. Member
    If you want the RPM's in Idaho (Altitude is Probably 2500 to 3500 ft) you have to drop pitch a 23 would probably get him 200 rpms

8. Member
    He's running a regular 225 opti max which isn't a strong motor compared to the 225 efi and has a 24" tempest which normally needs some work to run right but he's about 10 mph under what he should be. I'd have the motor checked to make sure it's right before doing anything else. He could be running on five cylinders or not getting WOT and the wrong plugs will kill that motor too.

Thank for that " have motor checked".. suggestion. I have been in the boat and owned many, but I have not noticed it missing , but maybe huh?
    I have another buddy with a 2003 225 opti and they do sound different. But that is a regular bass boat