Trolling Motor Battery

My local Battery Warehouse recommended a battery from Bright Way Group HXD12-55 to use for a trolling motor, said lots of people switching to it. I just can't believe this would work.

BRIGHT WAY GROUP HXD12-55 BATTERY (REPLACEMENT) - 12 VOLTS 55 AH IT TERMINAL

The replacement Bright Way Group HXD12-55 Rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery meets or exceeds the OEM SLA battery specifications. We guarantee the best price and 100% compatibility with your Bright Way Group HXD12-55 model.The replacement Bright Way Group HXD12-55 SLA battery has the following characteristics:

• Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Technology
    • Maintenance-Free Design with Spill Proof Construction
    • U.L. Recognized and CE Certified
    • Brand New, Factory Fresh
    • 1 Year Warranty

I could see using it to power electronics on a kayak but not our trolling motors.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

2. Member
    Too low of AH rating for TM batteries for a bass boat

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    Too low of AH rating for TM batteries for a bass boat
    That's what I thought but the Battery Warehouse said people were switching to them in bass boats. I thought he was nuts but figured I'd ask here.

I can't imagine those batteries would have even much power other than to maybe run a small 12v motor or a depth finder on a kayak or canoe

4. Member

5. Member
    Sounds like your Battery Warehouse salesperson needs to get a commission check. This are not suitable for a trolling motor on a bass boat unless they are free...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    Sounds like your Battery Warehouse salesperson needs to get a commission check. This are not suitable for a trolling motor on a bass boat unless they are free...
    They are usually pretty good there since it's a locally owned Battery Warehouse. I guess they were just having a brain fart. When dealing with batteries for Marine Use there they seem to have issues sometimes so you better go in knowing what you are looking for and what you need. I've had them recommend batteries for starting and trolling motors previously that I knew won't do the job. They do carry Deka though so can usually find something there.