Trim gauge going off the charts

Recently my trim gauge is jumping all over on the numbers, which is causing me to not be able to see water pressure, digital rpm, etc on the Smartcraft gauges because it automatically shows the trim being "changed" when it isn't. It is also making my analog gauge needle jump all over. Side note, it tends to do it more while running at a decent speed. Is there a simple fix or a way to just unhook or bypass it? I can live without knowing what my trim is, I really just want to see water temp and water pressure.
    2017 250 proxs
    2012 Sterling
    2017 250xs Racing

2. Member
    strange 2 different gages hooked to same sender which is wrong for analog gage ,sounds to me were problem is
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    ^^^^+1^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Sounds like you are using a Smartcraft Instrument with "Trim Popup" active.

Disconnect, clean and reconnect (firmly) the three wires for the digital trim sensor (yellow, blue and black). If the problem persists, replace the digital trim sensor.

Other alternative is to configure the gauge to ignore trim entirely.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Sounds like you are using a Smartcraft Instrument with "Trim Popup" active.

Disconnect, clean and reconnect (firmly) the three wires for the digital trim sensor (yellow, blue and black). If the problem persists, replace the digital trim sensor.

Other alternative is to configure the gauge to ignore trim entirely.
    I will try and clean the contacts up, the boat was run in the St Johns before I bought it last year so it could have some corrosion on it. If it continues how would I go about configuring the gauge to ignore trim? If it's too much to list I can give you a call. Sorry about the serial number, I don't have the boat with me currently it is stored at another property. Thanks!
    2012 Sterling
    2017 250xs Racing

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Directions for instrument will depend on exactly WHICH instrument series (and version) it is.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Since boat is stored elsewhere, there's a good topic in the FAQ showing the different Smartcraft instruments - SMARTCRAFT Options
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    I wonder if the OP could have a bad ground to the sensor or a broken wire that loses contact with the vibration from running?