Question regarding NFC X-RAY Blank SJ-736-1

I purchased a SJ-736 blank in January 2019, and I am pretty sure it was a MH fast action blank. Unfortunately I misplaced the blank spec sticker. It built a great rod, the action and power seem to be on the lighter side for a MH fast but for me it is an outstanding chatterbait rod. I would like to build another but cannot seem to find a SJ-736-1 MH listed on the NFC site. Since then i have built a SJ-736 H and a MB-736 MH and all of them are great but there is a noticeable power Difference between all 3. I have looked back at my order history and it clearly shows I have purchased two SJ-736-1s and a MB-736-1. So my question is, does anyone know if a SJ-736-1 MH used to be offered (I reached out to NFC but have not had a response)? If they did offer one and it is no longer available would the MB-724 build a similar rod? The SJ-736 I use for chatterbaits seems to be closer to a 4 power than a 6 and based off the butt diameter, tip, lure and line rating specs I had in my notes from the 2019 SJ-736 the MB-724 would be similar. I just don’t want to order until I get some feedback. Any help is appreciated.

2. Member
    to my knowledge the SJ-736 has always been rated heavy fast.

3. Member
    My fist order was also January 2019 it was a SJ and MB 736. The SJ has always been Heavy and the MB MH

4. Member
    I’m not sure why my first SJ-736 feels like it has less power, but I appreciate the responses. I know it varies from person to person, but Any feedback or experience w the SJ-725 or MB-724 as far as fitting well with a specific technique?

5. Member
    I looked all the way back to 12 andI apparently have never ordered that one.

6. Member
    Thanks geo, based off the responses a SJ-736-1 MH was never available. I’ll probably order another SJ-736
    and one of the 72 models. I’ll also make sure I add the spec stickers. I’ve always built rods
    Just for myself and up until recently id wrap each with a unique wrap thinking I could remember each blank model instead of putting the sticker on.. lesson learned

7. Member
    Personally I find both pretty versatile. I use both for TX rig and jig depending on weight. I have cut down the MB for a spinnerbait rod. I have cut down the SJ for a buzzbait rod. I could throw topwater on either of the ones I cut down. I like a stiffer rod for topwater than most. As you mentioned chatterbait would work well and depending on how heavy of head would depend on which I picked for. Could use either for Carolina rig, I don't cause I personally like a longer rod for that technique. They could work for jerkbait but probably a little too stiff to keep the fish on. I don't think either would be a good A Rig or crankbait rod is about the only 2 techniques I would for sure rule out.

8. Member
    SJ blanks have never had the power of a same power MB, SB blanks are closer to MBs than the SJ, that said I have heard the SJ in question is one of the more powerful blanks in the lineup.

9. Member
    Hey guys total newbie when it comes to rod building, I was looking at the same rod as OP mentioned the SJ 736-1 and while looking at the guide spacing table on Northforks website I couldn't find that model or any of the x-rays on that chart? Am I missing something on this? I haven't ordered the blank yet but am trying to get it ordered before the end of the month when the 50% discount ends. Also, planning on building this rod to be a Jig/Flipping rod is this the correct model i should be choosing for this application? The naming structure of SJ, MB throws me for a loop due to my inexperience.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcDSUNYPlatts View Post
    Hey guys total newbie when it comes to rod building, I was looking at the same rod as OP mentioned the SJ 736-1 and while looking at the guide spacing table on Northforks website I couldn't find that model or any of the x-rays on that chart? Am I missing something on this? I haven't ordered the blank yet but am trying to get it ordered before the end of the month when the 50% discount ends. Also, planning on building this rod to be a Jig/Flipping rod is this the correct model i should be choosing for this application? The naming structure of SJ, MB throws me for a loop due to my inexperience.
    I like the rod for a jig rod. Alot of people will say it isn't a good flipping rod as it is too high of modules which leads to more prone to breaking when flipping. It is a risk I will always take as I like the sensitivity of higher modules rods. I also think it depends on your definition of flipping. If you are throwing 1.5oz weights 5 feet from the boat through thick matted grass it might not be the best blank for that. If you are more pitching to cover 20 - 30 feet from the boat I think it better blank for that. I would also say I try to stay off the top end of the recommended weights on a blank. I think the SJ 736-1 is rated 1/4 - 1 oz. I would likely stick to 3/4oz and under jigs.

For the part about guide spacing. Most people will tell you don't follow a table. A table is a good place to start but then static test the load and adjust. I mostly use Fuji guides so I will start with their table for any blank and adjust from there.

For the naming structure every brand is different. I base everything off lure weight and action for the most part. If I know I want a rod to throw 1/2 oz jig then I would look for something rated 1/4 - 3/4 or 1oz and I would prefer a fast to xfast action. Others will say that they want a mod or mod fast action so there is less stress on the rod.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denraytay View Post
    I like the rod for a jig rod. Alot of people will say it isn't a good flipping rod as it is too high of modules which leads to more prone to breaking when flipping. It is a risk I will always take as I like the sensitivity of higher modules rods. I also think it depends on your definition of flipping. If you are throwing 1.5oz weights 5 feet from the boat through thick matted grass it might not be the best blank for that. If you are more pitching to cover 20 - 30 feet from the boat I think it better blank for that. I would also say I try to stay off the top end of the recommended weights on a blank. I think the SJ 736-1 is rated 1/4 - 1 oz. I would likely stick to 3/4oz and under jigs.
    Im looking for a heavy action do it all blank one i can punch 1oz weights with and then also throw a big jig out deep. I currently use a Helium 3 which I believe is the T800S blank from North fork but I didnt see that anywhere on North Forks website.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcDSUNYPlatts View Post
    Im looking for a heavy action do it all blank one i can punch 1oz weights with and then also throw a big jig out deep. I currently use a Helium 3 which I believe is the T800S blank from North fork but I didnt see that anywhere on North Forks website.
    X-Ray MB 7108 would be my suggestion for what you're wanting.

More generally, I highly suggest completely ignoring NFC's power ratings they put into words, and quite honestly, even the power rating numbers that are built into the model names (the one I mentioned would be an "8 power", for example). They're all over the map, and though you might be able to put a pattern together to try to decipher some of it, it's really not consistent. Instead, match the lure weights they give to whatever you're wanting to do and pair it with the action that matches what you want to do. This takes away a ton of the confusion.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    X-Ray MB 7108 would be my suggestion for what you're wanting.

More generally, I highly suggest completely ignoring NFC's power ratings they put into words, and quite honestly, even the power rating numbers that are built into the model names (the one I mentioned would be an "8 power", for example). They're all over the map, and though you might be able to put a pattern together to try to decipher some of it, it's really not consistent. Instead, match the lure weights they give to whatever you're wanting to do and pair it with the action that matches what you want to do. This takes away a ton of the confusion.
    Completely agree with how you worded that. If your lure weight matches in the range of the rod and it has the action you are looking for go for it no matter model number.

14. Member
    Thanks alot for all the info guys I really appreciate it! I'm gonna give the MB 7108 a shot!