Thread: Minimalist Rod

Minimalist Rod

I am going minimalistic on my next rod build.
    1. No decorative stripes or marbling . No trim rings
    2 No hook keeper. I drilled a hole in the trigger.
    3. MHX pro series 7’ 2” medium heavy extra fast tip
    4. Split seats with Winn grip.
    5. No foregrip
    6. Fuji Alconite concept guides with number five rings toward tip.
    The goal is to build the lightest technically correct rod I can. The emphasis will be on perfectly spined, balanced and optimum placement of all guides. I will post pictures as it progresses.

2. Member
    Sounds like a plan..cant wait to see pics.
    Goobs
    Lake Hartwell
    Phoenix

3. Member
    Winn grips are no where near the lightest grips and they do wear out faster than anything else I've used. 1/8 inch holes chamfered a bit worked best for me, one reason it doesn't leave enough hook tip to do much damage when you forget and palm the rod.

4. Member
    Maybe not "minimalist", but I built a rod a couple of years ago trying for the lightest weight possible. The biggest problem I ran into was determining which of the various components was the lightest. I'm not in the position to buy and weigh 15 different brands of guides or reel seats etc. Also the model of the blank itself is crucial as lighter is usually more expensive and fragile. I am happy with the end result, and enjoyed the project, but am done trying to go to that extreme. Once the rod was done then came the search for the lightest baitcaster.

5. Member
    That's like 90% of the rods I build. Winn grips are heavy like Spoonplugger said. 3 cork rings for the butt and grip each (you're palming the reel anyway). SK2 reel seat with the threads trimmed to only what you need (foam arbors and regular hood). Build it spiral and you can save a guide. Shoot me a PM if you want any more help or ideas. I've built 7'6" flippin sticks that are well under 4 oz.

6. Member
    Also, regular Fuji Concept fly guides are lighter that K series for the runners.

7. Member
    09E61572-AB9C-49C9-9540-23DBF29C2B10.jpegD20629D0-13A8-41ED-B627-BED66DBAD1BD.jpegAEFEE761-C19A-4308-9A88-921228325208.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I am going minimalistic on my next rod build.
    1. No decorative stripes or marbling . No trim rings
    2 No hook keeper. I drilled a hole in the trigger.
    3. MHX pro series 7’ 2” medium heavy extra fast tip
    4. Split seats with Winn grip.
    5. No foregrip
    6. Fuji Alconite concept guides with number five rings toward tip.
    The goal is to build the lightest technically correct rod I can. The emphasis will be on perfectly spined, balanced and optimum placement of all guides. I will post pictures as it progresses.
    I appreciate all the suggestions. I had already set the epoxy on the handle and reel seat components . I have used Winn in the past and like the feel. I get the cork is a tad lighter. I like the suggestion about cutting the reel seat tube adjuster in half. I will do that next time.
    So I have completed the handle and reel seat, filing the guide feet and marking my spacing for the guides. Next will be to tape down guides and putting the tip top in place.

8. Member
    I just have time to work on it a little each day or so. I now have the guides spaced and the tip top on. I did check it out and did some minor adjustments. The spacing chart was generally spot on.

4B6B6CAB-3637-4352-8704-9456A88499E9.jpeg36916AE7-EAC1-4F87-BC68-2ABF7754DF35.jpeg48692987-1900-4FA4-B117-355F86AC4FEC.jpeg

9. Member
    I've been using Minima Titanium guides on my latest builds. Very light and no issues yet. i like the idea of drilling the trigger, I'm going that route from here on.

10. Member
    Well tragedy just struck on my new 7ft. 2 MHX pro series. I was just trying to adjust the second guide from the tip top . The rod snapped taking off 3 inches of the extra fast tip. I now have more of a heavy worm rod.The tiptop that now fits it has a 5.5 tube size. I will put it on and see how it works. If I don’t like it I will have to take all the guides off and send back for a new blank under warranty.
    What a revolting situation to have a rod break before you could even try it out.

11. Member
    Actually it cast smooth and long when I tried it out this morning. That was my main concern about losing the top three inches. With the small guides it will be great for braid, lizards and jigs. Instead of a 7’3” extra fast shaker head I have a 6’11” fast worm and jig rod.

12. Member
    Rich Forhan's Revolver Rods had all the changes we have seen in bass rods three decades ago. Hole in the trigger hook keeper, spiral wrapped guides, skeleton reel seats, split grips, etc. He also designed many innovations in hooks and lures, a hall of famer in my book.

Sorry to hear of this misfortune. I broke one while I was using a lint free cloth to clean in between coats of epoxy on the guides. I was spinning it on my rod lathe and the cloth caught the tip top and twisted before I could get it stopped. Cracked the blank and all I could do was start over. Re used the guides and I was sick about it. Lesson learned.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Sorry to hear of this misfortune. I broke one while I was using a lint free cloth to clean in between coats of epoxy on the guides. I was spinning it on my rod lathe and the cloth caught the tip top and twisted before I could get it stopped. Cracked the blank and all I could do was start over. Re used the guides and I was sick about it. Lesson learned.
    Mudhole is great to work with. They suggested that I use the rod a few times and see if I like it. If not they will replace the blank. The technical support guy verified that now I have a fast action jig rod rather than a fast action shakey head rod. I will most likely keep this rod and pay for a new blank and start over.